I don't have long.... Router problem losing connec...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by OVS, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. OVS

    OVS Guest

    Hopefully I won't be cut off before I have the opportunity to send this
    message. Here goes.

    My router a Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway has recently been playing up.
    The problem is at random intervals I lose connection to browser (
    Connection refused error message from Firefox) and newsgroups.

    This happens to both PCs which are sharing the internet connection.
    The strange thing is that the connection is still active on both as I
    can ping the router, send/recieve e-mails and P2P software
    downloads/uploads fine.

    I've tried updating the firmware, but all this has done is made the
    'connection' loss more frequent.

    To rectify the problem, I have to unplug the Router and plug it back in
    and wait for the connection to restart and hey presto both PCs are able
    to browse the internet again and check newsgroups untill the next loss
    in 'connection'.

    I've check with my ISP newsgroup to see if there was any outage. No
    apparent problems. Also it wouldn't explain why after unplug/plugging
    ,the router is 'fixed' for a while.

    Please help.

    Note: When sending this message I recieved a 'newsgroup server not
    reachable' message. I had to unplug/plug router to send this message.
    This does not make sense!

    Thank you

    OVS, Oct 12, 2004

  2. OVS

    OVS Guest

    I'd like to add that one PC is connected directly to Router and one
    connects wirelessly. Both PCs show same symptom.

    Some other bits of info:
    On netwrok connections under 'Internet Gateway' it is listed as
    disabled. If I click 'enable' a windows pops up showing first
    'connecting' then 'connected' but Internet Gateway still shows Disabled.

    I've ignored this before as I've been browsing fine with no problems,
    but now I'm thinking this may be a part of the problem.

    Also when the connection dies, I cannot access the router via
    192.168.1.1 on my browser although as soon as I re-connect the router it
    works fine.

    OVS, Oct 12, 2004

  3. OVS

    mike Guest

    could it be related to signal levels/interference on the adsl line, i am not
    up on this, but that was my problem with a router and an ntl cable modem.

    mike

    mike, Oct 17, 2004
  4. OVS

    Bas Verhelst Guest

    I have similar problems, that suddenly appeared. The wireless connection
    still seems OK,
    but there is no connection outside. I found out that I can soft-reset the
    problem by
    logging in to the router and do a DHCP renew. I did not find any clue in the
    loggings.

    I believe I had firmware 1.01.4 when I bought the thing. I decided to
    upgrade.
    Things worsened when I went to firmware 1.02. After I installed 1.01.7, it
    first
    seemed OK, but now I start losing the connection again.

    Some suggest that the problem may be heat related. So happy that it is
    getting winter!
    Any other suggestion?

    Bas Verhelst

    Bas Verhelst, Oct 26, 2004
  5. OVS

    Guest Guest

    Not sure if you solved your problem, so thought this may help.

    I had the same problems. The trouble shooter in Linksys recommends ensuring
    PPPoA is set to always on and the redial set to 20. Mine had previosuly been
    set to 30 and I started sufferiing multple dis-connects as you did.

    Never had a dropped line since.

    Regards

    Dave J.

    Guest, Feb 2, 2005