    Now that I'm awaiting my Rebel XTi, I would just like to know exactly
    what you use Program Mode for--and *how* you use it.

    , Nov 6, 2006

  2. wrote:
    : I've read the manual (on my PowerShot A620). I use, successfully,
    : Manual Mode all the time. I've used Shutter Priority Mode successfully
    : (Aperture, never).

    : Now that I'm awaiting my Rebel XTi, I would just like to know exactly
    : what you use Program Mode for--and *how* you use it.

    In general, the modes are all different purely as to what is automated.
    The manual and other modes you mention each have one or more parameters
    that are automated. Program automates both Aperture and Shutter. But none
    of the other parameters are toyed with. For example the various scene
    modes do what program does but also weighs other factors such as leaning
    toward keeping the shutter fast in sports mode, or ignoring a dark
    background in portrait mode. And a full auto mode tends to automate
    everything that can be automated (including choosing film speed).

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Nov 6, 2006

  3. SimonLW Guest

    Program mode is like the full auto (green) mode, but it allows you access to
    many more options that are not available in full auto. I believe on your
    model, you can shift the aperture/shutter combination as well.
    -S

    SimonLW, Nov 6, 2006
  4. l v Guest

    In addition, it will not automatically pop open the built-in flash if
    the light is low.

    l v, Nov 6, 2006
  5. Bates Guest

    Exactly - in full Auto mode (green on your dial) it chooses the shutter
    speed and the aperature for you. In program mode, it still chooses the
    aperature and shutter speed, but you get to pick the ISO, white
    balance, whether you use flash or not and a few other things (I think
    on the A620 for example you can only use the continuous drive mode in
    Program but not in Auto).

    Bates.......

    Bates, Nov 6, 2006
  6. Hello folks.

    I think it is also the case that Program mode, unlike Tv and Av mode, will
    not let you choose a shutter/aperture combination that would result in over
    or under exposure.

    Regards, Ian.

    Fred Anonymous, Nov 6, 2006
  7. Skip Guest

    Neither will Tv or Av. In shutter priority (Tv) you choose the shutter
    speed and the camera selects the appropriate aperture to produce a proper
    exposure. In aperture priority, the opposite is true, you select the
    aperture, the camera selects the correct shutter speed to get the exposure
    right. Or that's the theory, anyway.

    Skip, Nov 6, 2006
  8. Bill Guest

    Actually it will, it's "shiftable" program control. You can adjust the
    shutter and aperture values up or down to get the exposure results you
    want - it just gives you an automatic exposure to start, and you can
    shift it as needed. If you go in small steps, say a slightly wider
    aperture, then the program mode will automatically compensate and
    raise the shutter speed similar to how S and A modes would work.

    If you go too far, you will get an under or overexposed shot, although
    the camera meter will indicate the exposure problems in the viewfinder
    to let you know as you make adjustments.

    Bill, Nov 6, 2006
  9. Jim Townsend Guest

    wrote:

    In Tv mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture.

    In Av mode, you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed.

    In P mode, the camera sets the aperture and shutter speed.

    P mode is NOT the same as the 'Green square' AUTO mode because
    unlike the 'Green Square' mode you still have control over
    important shooting parameters like white balance, ISO, exposure
    compensation, exposure bracketing, flash compensation and whether
    the flash fires or not.

    All these things are disabled in the camera menu when you use
    the AUTO modes.

    Jim Townsend, Nov 6, 2006
  10. All good stuff above. I'll add that it is easy to "shift the program" which
    is a nice feature ... change the aperture and the shutter speed will
    automatically be changed, or change the shutter speed and the aperture will
    change to compensate (I use program shift sometimes as it is a fast way to
    get desired results).

    Charles Schuler, Nov 6, 2006
  11. JohnR66 Guest

    Try this on the A620: Set the camera for Program mode, set exposure
    compensation to -1 and set "photo effect" mode to low sharpening. Now you
    can get far better results. Here's why...

    Program mode allows you to set custom functions not available in the full
    auto. This camera and as well as many compacts lean to more over exposure.
    DPreview complained that exposure is a little hot on the A620 and I agree,
    so set exposure comp to -1. Next, turn down the sharpening halos by setting
    the low sharpening mode. You don't loose any resolution and photos look more
    natural.

    John

    JohnR66, Nov 7, 2006