I bought a cheap trackball mouse at Staples

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by makebusy7, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. makebusy7

    makebusy7 Guest

    and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
    lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.

    anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld with
    a ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also has two
    buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are currently set
    to 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.

    the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and roll
    and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.

    this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
    setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it go
    faster.

    i am running windows xp home on a gateway notebook m500 circa 2003.

    is there third party software available for this sort of thing? this
    mouse was $10 so I am not above just chucking it out the window of a
    moving car on the highway if need be.

    also any other recommendations on a trackball handheld mouse are
    appreciated.

    oh this mouse is plugged in via usb

    tia

    makebusy7, Feb 19, 2006

  2. Duh, why not ask the person who sold you the mouse, or are the staff
    there thicker than you?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 19, 2006

  3. makebusy7

    makebusy7 Guest

    Because there is a newsgroup dedicated to helping the helpless, that is why

    makebusy7, Feb 19, 2006
  4. makebusy7

    why? Guest

    When did that happen?

    Me

    why?, Feb 19, 2006
  5. makebusy7

    JP Guest

    the speed setting in mouse settings in control panel should make some
    difference, I'm surprised if it hasn't.
    there should be a setting next to the speed slider with something like
    'enhance precision'. It makes the pointer move very slow when you move it a
    bit, and is probably best disabled.

    -JP

    JP, Feb 19, 2006
  6. makebusy7

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    For sure. I won't buy a mouse/trackball that isn't premium. The price is now
    only a few extra dollars for Logitech or MS, and the extra programmable
    features are well worth it.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2006
  7. Okay, here's more good advice: pitch it and get something that isn't the
    cheapest Brand-X POS in the store. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 19, 2006
  8. I haven't bought anything but Logitech for many years.

    Now, keyboards...that's different. I hate cleaning keyboards, so I buy
    $5-$8 units and pitch them after they've picked up X amount of soup
    splashes and hairballs. :) I have have two on the shelf that haven't
    been opened.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 19, 2006
  9. makebusy7

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    Heh - I have cheap keyboards everywhere. I don't need anything fancy there
    either. I have a nice USB keyboard at work that has been way more trouble
    than the cheap PS2 model.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2006
  10. 2 what on the shelf, soup splashes or hairballs?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 19, 2006
  11. makebusy7

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Brian H¹© spewed forth:
    Hairballs, of course. Everyone needs spare hairballs on the shelf...

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2006
  12. makebusy7

    Dan Evans Guest

    Bin it, get Logitech.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Feb 19, 2006
  13. Two new keybards, ya weenie. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 19, 2006
  14. I don't have any cats, so I have to buy mine from the neighbors.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 19, 2006
  15. makebusy7

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    There ya go, see! Supply and demand. Capitalism at it's finest <g>

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2006
  16. makebusy7

    clot Guest

    <vbg>

    clot, Feb 19, 2006
  17. makebusy7

    joevan Guest

    Want some o mine, er I mean my cats. You are more than welcome to
    them.

    joevan, Feb 19, 2006
  18. makebusy7

    John Guest

    Try
    http://drivers.soft32.com/download/driver-Microsoft_IntelliPoint_Mouse-23758-5.html

    It might be compatible with your trackball.

    John, Feb 20, 2006
  19. Isn't capitalism considered shouting?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 20, 2006
  20. makebusy7

    Damian Guest

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

    Damian, Feb 20, 2006