    quota? How long is it gonna be before I run out of quota?

    Here's what they tell me - "You have now added 5 GB download quota to
    your account at Usenet-News."

    iL_weReo, Jul 11, 2007

  2. And a closely related question, how long is a piece of string? 5GB of
    data is quite a lot if you do mostly text groups and some photos. If
    you're doing movies, ISO's and other large binaries, it will last a
    proportionately shorter amount of time to use up your limit.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 11, 2007

  3. iL_weReo

    Mike Easter Guest

    I predict a long time. Perhaps years unless your habits change and you
    increase the binaries.

    Different NSPs have different policies about how they count things.
    Usenet-news counts the headers, which some nsp/s don't, but they
    'deduct' 10% of the count to allow for headers.

    If it turns out you are using more gigs than you expected, you should
    buy larger chunks for less money per G. The $3 deal is $0.60/g; if you
    run out in less than a few years, then next time buy a bigger chunk for
    about half as much. Right now they have a special on 30G for $10 and
    even less/g if you buy 300G.

    The other thing you can do to keep your usage down is to use free or
    open newsservers.

    My provider provides news including binaries. I use a number of
    different free newsservers including tera's. The other day I bought $3
    worth of usenet-news to get something that I couldn't find on the other
    newsservers.

    Mike Easter, Jul 11, 2007
  4. iL_weReo

    iL_weReo Guest

    Yes I do mostly text groups. No movies thru this Service. Thanks for
    telling me "quite a lot."

    The thing I'm curious about is do downloads of binaries such as photos
    and images I merely look at count towards my quota, or only binaries I
    would UPload to Usenet, which I don't?

    I only upload lext to newsgroups like I do now.

    iL_weReo, Jul 11, 2007
  5. iL_weReo

    Mike Easter Guest

    The way a newsreader/newsserver 'count' works in this context is
    whenever you are 'taking' anything from the newsserver, it is counting.

    When you go to a new newsgroup to see if there are any pictures that you
    are interested in there, your newsreader downloads the headers. Those
    headers count a little bit. When you see a subject of a picture you
    think you would like, and click to get the picture, the 'downloading' of
    the picture to be viewed in your reader counts. It isn't necessary that
    you 'save' the picture. You've already 'bought' the downloading of it
    from the newsserver.

    Tera allows you 50 megs/day on your free account. If you just have mild
    binary needs, you could keep getting that from tera to 'spare' your
    usenet-news usage. There are also plenty of free newsservers from which
    you could be downloading binaries.
    Your uploading isn't counted against you by usenet-news or tera.
    That uploading doesn't count in your quota. What is counting is the
    headers you access and the bodies of the messages you read.

    Mike Easter, Jul 11, 2007
  6. Mike's answer is of course correct. But a 5GB limit on someone who does
    mostly text and the occasional photo, will last for a very long time. No
    way to accurately predict how long because that's totally dependent upon
    the user's downloading and posting habits. But you can put your credit
    card away and forget about it for a long while*.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 11, 2007
  7. iL_weReo

    iL_weReo Guest

    So like you and Roger say, I'm set for years. Wow. That is remarkable
    for the three bucks I think I paid. And it's a lot better than
    TeraNews where they were automatically spamming themselves on each and
    every post of mine.

    And like you guys say I can always order up more GB's if it becomes
    necessary. It may. This is incredible.

    iL_weReo, Jul 11, 2007
  8. iL_weReo

    Mike Easter Guest

    See that sig in there? It isn't supposed to be. If you were using OE
    QuoteFix it would be autotrimmed. Or it also would have been if you
    were using Tbird, which won't work if you need to combine and decode
    binaries.

    Tbird is a better choice for someone with XP SP2 for reading and posting
    to text groups than OE QF, and anything is better than OE without QF.

    When you use native OE, you are supposed to trim everything by hand
    which doesn't belong in there, most especially sigs.
    Correct. They have pretty good retention compared to my provider. Not
    as good as the 'high priced spread' of some NSPs which don't offer
    nonexpiring blocks, but better than many free newsservers.
    That is a terrible condition of teranews. However, don't forget that
    tera has some value. 50 megs/day is up to 1.5G per month of free
    downloads.
    If you use your newsservers wisely/conservatively, it should last a very
    very long time.

    Mike Easter, Jul 11, 2007
  9. i think you're right about Thunderbird, was never meant for binaries.
    Sad, too, in my opinion. If there's any yenc involved, forget it
    altogether. I use XNews for binaries.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 11, 2007
  10. iL_weReo

    Vanguard Guest

    in message

    Since you are posting via Google Groups, you won't be uploading any
    posts with attachments. Google doesn't accept posts with attachments.

    You never mentioned WHO you use for newsgroups (other than digging
    through your post's headers and seeing you use Google Groups). Thorn
    Comm, your ISP, can tell you if they count downloading headers-only and
    uploading against your monthly bandwidth quota.

    If you only download from text newsgroups, you'll find 5GB hard to
    consume in a month. 5K to 20K posts are pretty small. Plus you aren't
    downloading all of them in a newsgroup. You are only downloading the
    ones you select to download. If the header-only download doesn't count
    against your quota, only the posts you choose to view will have their
    bodies download and count against your download quota.

    Whomever you are using for an NSP probably has a fact on when that 5GB
    monthly quota gets renewed, if overage gets credited against next
    month's quota, if headers count against the download quota, if there
    even is an upload quota, and so on.

    Vanguard, Jul 11, 2007
  11. iL_weReo

    Mike Easter Guest

    iL_weReo of GG = Wereo_SUPREME recently of usenet-news, previously of
    teranews

    Those headers in the link above are usenet-news headers, abuse at
    www.space.net and HighWinds.

    I have no idea why he was posting GG after he acquired a usenet-news
    account.

    Mike Easter, Jul 11, 2007
  12. A month? Jesus H. Christ. I buy 25GB for $10 from Astraweb and I do use
    it for binaries. I literally can't use it up in a year. If it were text
    only, I may not live long enough to use up 25GB.

    =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 11, 2007
  13. You mean trim like that? You're a nice guy, I hate to trim your name out.

    Wereo_SUPREEMO, Jul 12, 2007
  14. hahahah

    Wereo_SUPREEMO, Jul 12, 2007
  15. Looks like I'm in good company here.

    I think you told me to trim your sig, is this the way I'm supposed to do it?

    Wereo_SUPREEMO, Jul 12, 2007
  16. I don't think it's a monthly quota, it a Block. You noticed I post from both
    Google and my new NSP under slightly different screennames. I forgot the
    name of them, but it should be visible on top here.

    Wereo_SUPREEMO, Jul 12, 2007
  17. I don't know, sometimes I want to see what pops up on top of the Gogg and I
    get stuck there. I prefer posting from here though. Less GATES and more
    Freedom to say what I really want with less gates from here.

    Wereo_SUPREEMO, Jul 12, 2007
  18. lol who knows how long I have to live with what I just did. I'm happy here,
    I'm glad I have no spam message from the NSP.

    Also it took one and a half days for Tera to post some things I wrote one
    and a half days ago. I can't live like this.

    Wereo_SUPREEMO, Jul 12, 2007