I asked before and was told it could not be done, well its Done...??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Karen Parker, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. Karen  Parker

    Karen Parker Guest

    Yes how to reset a Boatable hard drive to a none boot one..

    Every one here stated I would have to reformat the HD to do this...Utter
    Bollocks

    Use PTedit.exe

    You can dnloaded it from the PQ Magic site or use the one later version that
    come with PQ Magic when you make the Rescue Floppy disks..

    Its on Disk 1. ptedit.exe

    This will display the Partition Table info

    The Boot sector are shown with a 80 as a boot flag, just type a 00 and
    save..

    Here is some info regarding ptedit.exe

    http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/ptedit.htm

    And with out loosing any data..

    Karen Parker, Aug 25, 2004

  2. Karen  Parker

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Not a problem as long as you use an outboard motor.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 25, 2004

  3. Karen  Parker

    Steve Guest

    fdisk on linux'll do it in half a sec. fdisk/mbr will *propably* do it
    on dos.

    Steve

    Steve, Aug 25, 2004
  4. everyone?
    I never commented, or even saw the post.
    when was it?

    Besides, you're Rogers sister, and you hadn't posted here before a few
    weeks ago :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 25, 2004
  5. Outboard motor? Surely you mean "outbored moater"?

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 25, 2004
  6. Karen  Parker

    AD. Guest

    hehe

    If I remember correctly, he was given about 6 ways of doing it but refused
    to acknowledge any of them.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 25, 2004
  7. Karen  Parker

    Karen Parker Guest

    Utter Crap, all required the Drive to be reformatted..

    Karen Parker, Aug 26, 2004
  8. Karen  Parker

    Karen Parker Guest

    I do have all the Post's here to back up my Statement, so Why Lie..?

    Karen Parker, Aug 26, 2004
  9. Karen  Parker

    Don Hills Guest

    The rest of us don't have the posts, because you have chosen not to allow
    archiving by sites such as Google Groups. So it's your word against the rest
    of us, and you know we don't believe most of what you say.

    Don Hills, Aug 26, 2004
  10. Karen  Parker

    AD. Guest

    Bollox, none of the Linux based solutions eg Knoppix with cfdisk etc
    required reformatting the disk either (or even installing Linux).

    cfdisk can toggle the bootable flag on and off for any partition, and is
    way easier and safer than manually editing your partition table.

    You refused to acknowledge their validity because that would contradict
    your ideological opinions about Linux.

    I'm guessing that many of the Windows based solutions you were offered
    probably would've worked as well.

    And as Don has pointed out, your refusal to let your posts be archived is
    your only flimsy defense against being frequently proven wrong.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 26, 2004
  11. Karen  Parker

    Karen Parker Guest

    I use a OS not a Bit Of JUNK..

    Even my Boss was a bit of a LUNIX Addict, here repented and went back to MS..

    He told me all the problems that you have to compile it on every system and
    every application.

    Stuff that you can keep it..

    So why bring it up when I don't ever use this utter CRAP..?

    PLUS I HAVE ALL THE COPIES HERE OF ALL THE POSTS MADE, I am not referring to
    my posts but the Replies they are all on Google..

    IT JUST PROVES YOU ARE ALL A BUCH OD WANKERS AND JUST DON'T KNOW A THING..

    I Rest my Case..

    Karen Parker, Aug 26, 2004
  12. Karen  Parker

    Karen Parker Guest

    All the Replies are on google..

    I am not referring to my posts but the replies that were given..

    Here is the header & body

    No.1

    How to disable Active Partition...

    No.2

    How to disable Active Partition...No Valid replies

    I have 2 HD on a Controller, they both have active boot partitions, tried all
    the tools I can find but none let me turn of the active partition on the
    second drive..

    So how can it be done..?

    So Don look on Google and see the useless replies.

    Karen Parker, Aug 26, 2004
  13. Karen  Parker

    AD. Guest

    You used to say the same thing about XP.
    Well either he doesn't know what he is talking about, or you didn't hear
    him correctly.

    The vast majority of users will never have to compile anything.
    You don't have to be a Linux user to do this. Just boot from the Knoppix
    CD (no install required - it runs out of a ram disk and doesn't install
    to the HD), then run the cfdisk utility, untoggle the bootable flag,
    write the partition table, shutdown remove the CD, reboot. All done. No
    risky manual editing of partition tables.

    That was a workable free solution that you refused to acknowledge.

    You can't criticise it if you don't know the slightest thing about it.
    So the people that offered workable solutions don't know a thing, but you
    who stuck his fingers in his ears and shouted "la la la - I can't hear
    you!" are nz.comp's paragon of wisdom?
    Well it really needed a rest.

    AD., Aug 26, 2004
  14. Karen  Parker

    Bret Guest

    The answer was given by Anton, what's the problem with his suggestion?

    http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=

    Bret, Aug 26, 2004
  15. Karen  Parker

    Karen Parker Guest

    But I would trust his word more than the Idiots her..

    Please tell me what this CD as I have only seen it being referred to by Lunix
    Addicts..

    (no install required - it runs out of a ram disk and doesn't install
    Please list them all as I just can't find them.,.?

    Karen Parker, Aug 26, 2004
  16. Karen  Parker

    Karen Parker Guest

    Karen Parker, Aug 26, 2004
  17. Karen  Parker

    AD. Guest

    Well just in case using Google is too strenuous for you...

    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-info/index-en.html

    It's a bootable CD image that autodetects practically all your hardware
    and boots into a GUI with Open Office and web browsers etc available. It
    runs completely from your RAM and doesn't install anything to your hard
    drive.

    That way you can evaluate Linux without installing anything. It also
    allows you do to a bunch of diagnosis and repair stuff on non booting
    systems. Yes it even has useful tools for resurrecting Windows machines.

    It's a free download, and you have nothing to lose by trying it. It's not
    going to infect you with unix cooties or anything - it's just a useful
    tool. Even some Windows users use it to check for faulty hardware on their
    machines - ie if it works in Knoppix it's more than likely to be a driver
    problem in Windows rather than faulty hardware.

    Here's a local copy:
    http://ftp.citylink.co.nz/knoppix/

    You have to admit that it's a pretty cool piece of work, and anyone that
    can't see that is a grumpy bastard IMO. Refusing to look into it further
    just because it's "Lunix" is pretty sad.

    What's wrong with widening your horizons a little?

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 26, 2004
  18. Karen  Parker

    theseus Guest

    IIRC theres a smaller image rescue cd based on knoppix that has qtparted
    http://www.sysresccd.org/

    theseus, Aug 26, 2004
  19. Karen  Parker

    Bret Guest

    Why is that a problem, you know how to read, you must have done a lot
    of upskilling and paradigm shifting over the years, it shouldn't be
    out of your grasp if you wanted to do it.

    Bret, Aug 26, 2004
  20. Karen  Parker

    AD. Guest

    <pours petrol on the flames...>

    Yeah, after all he progressed from mainframe engineer to chief VCR head
    cleaner!

    He's nothing if not versatile.

    AD., Aug 26, 2004