    I am a home user with XP and DSL and would like to keep my ISP out of the
    loop.

    Thanks

    zsdfoiwekl, Sep 2, 2003

  2. http://www.blackmarket-press.net/info_01.htm

    Regards
    Gordon

    TrackerWhacker, Sep 2, 2003

  3. zsdfoiwekl

    gtr Guest

    hello, i've been a subscriber of primedius service avec having tried
    anonymizer in the past, and i'm very satisfied with it. for sure i'll renew,
    it's fast and above all, very reliable.
    check it here :
    www.primedius.com

    and what i really appreciate is their customer support. never got any 'good'
    answer from anonymizer. on the contrary primedius team is very 'customer
    oriented' mentality and ready to help in any circumstances.
    i'm using it under xppro and win2k, on broadband access.
    hoping this will help you,
    greg

    gtr, Sep 3, 2003
  4. zsdfoiwekl

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Check the link in my sig. Transparent proxy works like a charm and is
    easy as pie to set up.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Sep 3, 2003
  5. zsdfoiwekl

    The Voyager Guest

    The Voyager, Sep 3, 2003
  6. zsdfoiwekl

    zsdfoiwekl Guest

    Thanks for that Gordon. There was a lot to read there and a lot of links
    from there. I spent hours there.

    I am wiser for the effort.

    zsdfoiwekl, Sep 4, 2003
  7. zsdfoiwekl

    zsdfoiwekl Guest

    Thanks Greg for that info on Primedius. I have been all over their site and
    had a question which I asked of their techy people. If I get an answer that
    I need, I will sign up with them tomorrow.

    Thanks again.

    zsdfoiwekl, Sep 4, 2003
  8. zsdfoiwekl

    zsdfoiwekl Guest

    Another dead end. Primedius, to my first inquiry told me they had everything
    Anonymizer.com had and then some. Then I asked a few more questions
    narrowing it down to specifics. I got an answer today that said..." We do
    not support the NNTP protocol, so you would have to use a web-based service
    to access Newsreaders." Of course, they also do not support POP3 email for
    the same reason. That is a shame because their customer service answered my
    2 inquiries in less than a day. It took me a week to get an answer from
    Anonymizer for a more serious issue.
    So, if anyone is looking for secure web based NG access and email, as Greg
    said, check out www.primedius.com They seem to have their shit together and
    a cost you can't beat.

    zsdfoiwekl, Sep 5, 2003
  9. zsdfoiwekl

    zsdfoiwekl Guest

    Thanks Doc Jeff for your help.

    I did check out cotse.net. I guess I wasn't too scared to check it out.
    Funny thing was, when I first checked it, I was using my tunnel and got a
    message 404 or whatever that that address could not be found. I then went
    straight there and voila, up popped their web site. It had a big red warning
    saying that my access to there was not protected. Well duh, I knew that but
    I couldn't get there when I was protected.

    Anyway, what is transparent proxy? I gather from perusing their site that
    it has something to do with socks? Isn't socks for IRC and chat programs?
    Never been to IRC and never use chat either (the exception being AOL which I
    might use once a month). Since I am looking for a NNTP based server that I
    can tunnel into for POP3 email (not really essential since I also have web
    based email and don't ever use email for sensitive stuff or risky people),
    the internet, and newsgroups. Basically, I just want to leave my ISP out of
    my loop where it pertains to logs and the who; what; when. Can this
    transparent proxy accomplish this?

    Again, thanks for your response.

    zsdfoiwekl, Sep 5, 2003
  10. zsdfoiwekl

    gtr Guest

    i'd had this comment : they have in some package an anon email and secure
    zone for small files. it seems to work great for security, even if their
    webmail interface is far from the fastest that i know...
    but it's secure. it won't get your usual pop3 emails, but in some cases this
    anon email can be useful. and indeed, their prices are really competitive,
    personally i also bought services with a special offer.
    and as i've already said, their customer services is great. they don't seem
    to spent lot of money for advertisements, they prefere to be known by word
    of mouth.

    gtr, Sep 5, 2003
  11. The red warning was telling you that you were using http and not https
    so you weren't encrypted.
    You'll find no other service that offers everything Cotse does. To
    answer your specific questions, yes it will handle your pop3
    requirements and your NNTP and quite a bit more. Specifically regarding
    NNTP, Cotse offers a NNTP proxy that allows you to use any news provider
    and any client in privacy.

    http://www.cotse.net/servicedetails.html - for all the features, but a
    word of warning, it can be a long read, there is a lot offered.

    /steve

    Stephen K. Gielda, Sep 5, 2003
  12. zsdfoiwekl

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    That's what make it all worthwhile... well, that and getting folks to
    actually sign up for COTSE. :)
    No, SOCKS is different. Check out the link Steve gave you in the other
    message about the service details. It's explained pretty well there.
    Yes. My ISP blocks SMTP, POP3, IMAP4, NNTP, and others. Without COTSE,
    I'd be b0rked as far as anything but surfing the web or IRC. With the
    transparent proxy and COTSE's standard e-mail services, I can do
    anything anyone else can and my ISP only sees connections from me to
    COTSE and that's it. :)
    Always willing to help. Just let me know or e-mail

    [ Doc Jeff ], Sep 5, 2003
  13. zsdfoiwekl

    Nick Hill Guest

    I am already a Cotse member & use it for email. I don't think it's very easy
    to set up though for proxy. Can you give me any pointers please? I access
    the net via MS ISA server using the ISA client firewall on my workstation.

    Regards
    Nick

    Nick Hill, Nov 16, 2003