Hypothetical question - traveling to Europe [Excluding DSLR] or to USA

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by zxcvar, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. zxcvar

    zxcvar Guest

    Greetings! Imagine you are going to travel to Europe next summer [or
    as a European coming to USA] for a month. What type of digital camera
    will you take with you - [a] Pocketable cameras like Canon A-370,
    Nikon 3100 with zoom range 35-105 mm A camera with long zoom like
    Olympus c-750 with zoom range of 38-380 mm or [c] Camera with low
    light capability to photgraph the interior of museums, churches etc
    like olympus c-5050 or Canon G-5.

    Secondly will you take your laptop with you? With a laptop you can see
    your e-mails & keep contact with newsgroups etc. But it is bulky. The
    other alternative will be a digital album like Nix Vue Vista digital
    album.

    I do not own any of the brand names I mentioned. I have different
    digital cameras - D-510 and C-4040.

    With thanks.

    zxcvar, Sep 24, 2003

  2. zxcvar

    BUNTOVNIK Guest

    Well, I guess in the end it's up to your own intentions and plans. If you
    want to take snapshots of places you visit and expect nothing more than to
    be able to send them to your friends than any camera will do. If you plan to
    do some serious photography then you'll probably pack up the best equipment
    you got and take loads of memory card or a laptop. I usually drag around a
    bag full of equipment, even if I'm going out just for a walk or a cup of
    coffee with friends. When I travel I take my tripod and monopod and battery
    chargers and pretty much everything. You never know when will the shot of
    your life come along. And if it happens when all you have is a poin-n-shoot
    you'll regret not taking better camera with you.
    Taking laptop only for checking out e-mails and newsgroups is pointless. We
    in Europe have cybercaffes too, you know... If you'd like do download photos
    off your memory cards - well, almost every photoshop offers recording photos
    from cards to CDs.

    BUNTOVNIK, Sep 24, 2003

  3. zxcvar

    Jim Townsend Guest

    I would take my big heavey 10D with my full lens kit (15 - 400mm). (It all
    ifts in a bag that wieghs about 14 pounds). I also pack a Canon Elph S100 in
    my camera bag for when a light easy to carry camera is more desireable. The
    bag fits nicely in my large suitcase leaving lots of room for clothing and
    travel articles.
    I would definitely take my laptop.. I have 30Gig free on the hard drive and it
    has a CD burner. You can't beat a stack of bulk CD's for storage. I carry
    it in a shoulder bag.. The bag also holds the stuff you'd usually have with
    you in your airplane carry on luggage.

    For internet communications and keeping in touch... I've always used Internet
    Cafe's.

    Jim Townsend, Sep 25, 2003
  4. zxcvar

    Bluesea Guest

    Do I understand you correctly, that you put your camera + lens in your
    checked luggage when flying?

    Bluesea, Sep 28, 2003