Hydroponic Tomato Photo

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mmyvusenet, Apr 11, 2010.

  1. mmyvusenet

    mmyvusenet Guest

    mmyvusenet, Apr 11, 2010

  2. mmyvusenet

    Vance Guest

    I've been waiting for you!

    Vance

    Vance, Apr 11, 2010

  3. I think I've said it before: you need to pay more attention to LIGHT.
    Where is it coming from, which part of the frame are illuminated.

    In your tomato picture, the foreground subject is dark and dull, yet we
    can see that there is a lot of golden light in the background.

    Also, you're taking a picture of something that does not offer itself to
    the 'rule of thirds'. So you should maybe consider doing something else
    interesting-to-the-eye with it: take the shot at an angle so we can see
    the length of the row and how the plants get smaller in the distance, or
    use a wide angle or fisheye lense that adds an interesting perspective
    to the shot, or have one very read tomato show large at a prominent spot
    in the picture, something like that.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 11, 2010
  4. mmyvusenet

    mmyvusenet Guest

    Hi everybody, what do you think about this change?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4509396926/

    mmyvusenet, Apr 11, 2010
  5. mmyvusenet

    Paul Furman Guest

    Can't tell what changed since you replaced the pic at the same link but
    I have to say this one is boring.

    Paul Furman, Apr 11, 2010
  6. mmyvusenet

    Vance Guest

    Vance, Apr 11, 2010
  7. mmyvusenet

    Vance Guest

    Paul, I hadn't visited your site in a while and you have some nice
    stuff there that I hadn't seen before. After looking at your images
    from Baker Beach I'm going to have to go back with a different eye.
    Have you ever tried shooting from the end of Pier 14 between Mission
    and Howard on the Emabarcadeo? This is snap from a couple of years
    ago. I haven't gone back to really work the shot, but it has some
    potential:

    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YiQKa-hC5OjEAZ6qTan-rbrKulDK9n8z_XUOWFQNSG4?feat=directlink

    Directly left is the Bay Bridge. In someones hands, maybe yours,
    there is probably a better image there than I see, but landscapes/
    cityscapes are definitely not my forte.

    Vance

    Vance, Apr 11, 2010
  8. Nice work. PS, or Lightroom, or other? Local adjustments, or the Fill
    slider in ACR or LR?

    John McWilliams, Apr 11, 2010
  9. mmyvusenet

    LOL! Guest

    LOL!, Apr 12, 2010
  10. mmyvusenet

    Paul Furman Guest

    Nice shot, nothing to apologize for there. Seems I've only taken pics of
    the same benches at McCovey Cove in front of the new ballpark. Actually,
    I haven't updated the edgehill site much, new pics go on flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Apr 12, 2010
  11. mmyvusenet

    Vance Guest

    Thanks. I am going back and spend some time with the location and see
    what I can really pull out of it. I thought about last night and
    maybe catching the lights from the buildings reflected off the water
    on the wet pier and what the overall effect of shooting through the
    rain would be. I'm thinking along the lines of 'Impressionist' in
    quality, but who knows? It was just too nasty last night. The camera
    would have been fine, but with the wind I wouldn't. Maybe tonight.

    Thanks for the link. Lot's of stuff there new to me and it seems you
    have extended your range. I like your 'peoplescapes' concept. I do
    some shots along those lines. Starting at the ballpark, there is a
    walk south that takes you along the bay front and all the way over to
    the old Bethlehem Shipyards. You might find something interesting
    there if you are in the area.

    Vance

    Vance, Apr 12, 2010
  12. mmyvusenet

    mmyvusenet Guest

    Hello, I am posting a new photo about Hydroponics.

    mmyvusenet, Apr 13, 2010
  13. mmyvusenet

    mmyvusenet Guest

    Hello, thanks for your comments, I am posting a new photo about Hydroponics
    with some improvements.

    mmyvusenet, Apr 13, 2010
  14. mmyvusenet

    Vance Guest

    Thank you. Raw conversion was Capture One and the rest of the
    processing was local adjustments in CS4, mostly to bring the pier up
    to where I had wanted it but missed my timing in the changing light.
    I should have metered for it and shot when it was about 1 1/2 to 2
    stops down, but I just went with 'This looks about right.' Of course,
    it wasn't.

    In some ways, a shot like this is similar to a studio shot, you put
    your highs where you want them and then get the fill right. The fill
    in this case is the ambient lighting from the sky. Unfortunately, the
    light level is continually falling so you only have a window of a few
    minutes where the lighting is balanced for the effect you want.

    Color was adjusted to give a nice gray off the metal seat and the rest
    of the image is just however the various light sources rendered.
    Exposure was long (about 15 seconds at F/22 as I remember) to get the
    broad color reflections in the water and to give a slight 'star'
    effect to the point sources of light. Because of the small aperture
    the image isn't as sharp as it could be, but for a primarily graphical
    image like this, I don't see that as all that important.

    I'm going back and spend the time to reshoot the image the way I want
    the skyline and pier to really look like. I was just walking along
    the Embarcadero that evening and wondered what the City looked like
    from out on that pier and only had time grab this shot before it was
    really lights out.

    Vance

    Vance, Apr 13, 2010
  15. Thanks, and Darn! I went back to take another gander and it was 404 time....

    John McWilliams, Apr 13, 2010
  16. mmyvusenet

    Vance Guest

    The link is still good. Try it from the original post.

    Vance

    Vance, Apr 14, 2010