    - network assistant compatibility.

    Thank you very much for your help!

    Mario

    mgiammarco, Feb 9, 2008

  2. mgiammarco

    Thrill5 Guest

    If your definition is of "reasonable" is a couple hundred dollars, you not
    going to find any. The only difference between 10/100 and 10/100/1000 ports
    is speed. Most Cisco 10/100 switches have at least 2 gig ports, and can be
    had cheaply. For learning how to configure Cisco switches, you don't
    really need one with 8 gig ports which will cost thousands of dollars.

    Thrill5, Feb 11, 2008

  3. You'll have to define "reasonably priced." FWIW, though, I believe
    the Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960G-8TC-L would meet your technical requirements. It
    can be had new for around $800, or so (if not less).
    Regards,
    Mike

    Michael T. Davis, Feb 11, 2008
  4. mgiammarco

    mgiammarco Guest

    Yes but I would like also to USE it because I pay for it and at home I
    am trying ISCSI so I need gigabit to see how much data I can push.

    mgiammarco, Feb 11, 2008
  5. mgiammarco

    mgiammarco Guest

    Uhm 3-400$ seems reasonable to me :-( Perhaps used or refurbished, I
    now try to search it.

    mgiammarco, Feb 11, 2008
  6. The problem is that your 'high speed Internet' at home is
    probably no more than six megabits per second at most. Having gigabit
    ethernet isn't going to bring about any speed improvement
    Internet-wise. You're only going onto and off from the Internet at
    the speed you are getting from your provider, no faster.

    If you are moving high speed data between hosts on your home
    network, then it might be useful.

    Unless that's the case, I'd suggest that you just get an 800
    series router and forget it.

    Regards,

    Fred Atkinson
    CCNA, CCAI