Hugin and Autopano-sift on a Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Daniel Silevitch, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. Hopefully someone can help with this somewhat obscure problem.

    I've got a bunch of panos to stitch together and since I don't want to
    spend the next week picking out control points, I thought I'd give
    Autopano-SIFT a try. It seems to be working OK from the OS X Terminal
    window, but every time I try to run it from within Hugin (v0.5, the
    first "stable" version), it fails.

    After mucking with the various shell scripts, it seems that the problem
    seems to be that any sort of call to the MONO environment fails, even
    just a simple call to /usr/bin/mono with no arguments. I get the same
    behavior using either the script stored inside the Hugin bundle or the
    autopano-complete.sh script that came with autopano-sift. I'm running
    Mono 1.1.11, the most recent version for Mac.

    Anyone ever seen this, and know a solution?

    I can work around this by running autopano from the command line (or
    picking the points manually), but it's sort of irritating that things
    don't work the way they should.

    Thanks for any hints that might be forthcoming.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Daniel Silevitch

    hodapp87 Guest

    Anyone ever seen this, and know a solution?
    I use Hugin on Linux. I never got anything involving Mono to work
    properly - so I use Autopano rather than Autopano-SIFT. Whatever the
    case, Autopano-SIFT never worked right from within Hugin.
    Autopano works fairly well for me - though it makes occasional errors
    that throw Hugin off, so I always do a quick visual check of every pair
    and look for outliers.
    How is the stability of Hugin for you? Have you used it much? It works
    pretty well for me, but I've gotten semi-random issues with bugs and
    the interface... segfault here, crazy stuff there, whatever.

    - Chris

    hodapp87, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Hugin is pretty good stability-wise, though the optimizer has a nasty
    tendency to explore false minima in strange parts of parameter space.
    The preview of the pano I'm working with now has a habit of looking like
    a rollercoaster (up and down and up and down) unless I'm careful to
    do the initial optimizations a few at a time.

    I was under the impression that Autopano was not available for the Mac;
    if nothing else, I got a nasty message to that effect from Hugin when I
    tried to select it in the preferences.

    I am impressed with Hugin performance-wise. PanoramaMaker, the cheap
    commercial software that came with my camera, took forever and a half to
    do anything with my current pano (11 5MP images forming a single 360
    view), whereas Hugin is fast enough that trial-and-error is feasible.
    Hardware is a Mac Powerbook G4/867 with 640 megs of RAM.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 5, 2006