    The pic when extracted appears to be a 260 kB .bmp

    Any explanations for this large documentsize and/or how-to avoid?

    Maria

    Maria, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Maria

    jils Guest

    if a lot of changes were made during the making of the document, word
    stores them, allowing the "undo" and "redo" features.

    sometimes copying and pasting the contents into new document can help,
    by not taking all the history with it.

    it worked for me once.. :)

    jils, Mar 25, 2005

  3. Maria

    jils Guest

    another thing .. when you extract the picture it may appear only 260kb,
    but when your friend inserted it into the document, it may have been a
    lot bigger, and he/she might have resized it within word, again word
    will have kept the original sized picture in history. make sure the
    picture is resized outside word before placing it in the document.

    jils, Mar 25, 2005
  4. Maria

    Maria Guest

    The resizing within the doc sounds plausible, thanks!
    Maria

    Maria, Mar 25, 2005
  5. Maria

    Maria Guest

    Did what you suggested - copied the table, the pic, the text into a new doc.
    Alas, same 2.3 MB size again...

    Maria

    Maria, Mar 25, 2005
  6. Maria

    Bob C Guest

    A friend mailed me an invitation in a Word 2002 document.
    Two issues here - a large Word file and its enlargement when emailed.

    The biggest problem you have is that Word is not great at handling graphics
    files and at the same time keeping the file size small - it's simply the
    wrong format. Try converting the file to a PDF and, with the right
    compression settings, you should see a huge difference. www.adobe.com has a
    "5 free conversions" thing on its site.

    As for the second issue, email tends to re-encode a file in order to send it
    in a format which is universally readable by different mail systems, and in
    many cases this leads to a file size growing considerably. I would put
    money on this being the case with your friend's Word document.

    Bob C, Mar 25, 2005
  7. Maria

    Maria Guest

    Item 1

    As a matter of curiosity I just converted the original .bmp picture with the
    same but in .jpg format.

    The entire Word doc file size is now only a staggering 56 kB instead of 2.3 MB!

    So apparently including a .bmp pic in a Word doc, maybe the author even having
    resized it inside the doc, is blowing its filesize up tremendously.

    Item 2

    Yes, that is of course a logical side effect where the email is putting a new
    'wrapper' around the document being large already.

    Thanks Bob,

    Maria

    Maria, Mar 25, 2005
  8. Maria

    Plato Guest

    Dont use MS word if you want effiecient file sizes

    Plato, Mar 26, 2005

  9. "Small Pictures Become Huge Documents in Word"

    <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1722372,00.asp>

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Mar 27, 2005
  10. Maria

    Ian Jackson Guest

    From my experience, you can insert an image in a Word document in
    several ways. Although the end result may look the same, the filesizes
    can vary considerably.

    If it's a simple picture, probably the best way is to open the document
    and, on the toolbar, select 'Insert'. On the drop-down menu select
    'Picture', 'From File', then navigate to the file you want to insert,
    and select it. Once the picture is on the document page, you will
    probably need to move to where you want to place it.

    The worst way of inserting an image is to right click on the filename
    itself, then 'Copy', then go to the open document and 'Paste' it. This
    can produce absolutely horrendous filesizes.

    Another way which can produce fairly large filesizes is to open the
    image, right click on it, and then paste on the document.

    Finally, if you paste something which is not really a picture, but (for
    example), a diagram created in using Draw or Visio, to minimise the
    filesize use 'Edit' (on the menu bar), 'Paste Special', and select 'As
    Picture'. This produces the smallest filesize.

    Ian (whose first experience with computers was a ZX81!).

    Ian Jackson, Mar 27, 2005