    described above? The best thing would be a Mozilla Add-on, of course!

    Regards,
    Joerg

    Joerg, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Joerg

    Alan Connor Guest

    First of all, you don't "go" to a website.

    You contact a computer which sends one or more files to you.

    That can be a single text file written in HTML which your browser then turns
    into what you see on the screen. If there are images, etc, these come as
    seperate files and the HTML (which is written with the characters you have
    on your keyboard) tells the browser where to place them and what size they
    are going to be, and so forth.

    You seem to want to modify the HTML documents on the "website's" computer,
    and they are not likely to allow you to do that, or to create a special copy
    just for you.

    Most browsers keep a copy of that document and associated files on your computer
    which is why you have to hit "Refresh" if you haven't been to the "website's"
    computer for a while. If you don't, you will not see any changes they have
    made to the document because you will not be seeing it, but rather will be
    looking at an old copy stored on YOUR computer. (this is the way most modern
    browsers are set up by default)

    To accomplish what you want, just bring up the HTML source file on an editor
    and put, for example, <b>.......</b> around the text you wish to stand out
    and the next time you "go to that website" it will be in bold-face type.
    (unless you hit "Refresh")

    Or write a script that will edit it for you. That's what sed,
    the s(tream)ed(itor) is for, as well as other tools.

    HTH

    Alan C

    Alan Connor, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Joerg

    mjt Guest

    .... wget can be used to capture a website's contents
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    Re graphics: A picture is worth 10K words -- but only those to describe
    the picture. Hardly any sets of 10K words can be adequately described
    with pictures.

    mjt, Sep 16, 2003
  4. Joerg

    Alan Connor Guest

    Yes. Wget is a fine tool, but that's what a browser does: It retrieves
    a website's content THEN processes the HTML (etc) in the files it retrieved.

    Your sig is too long. I trimmed it to the 4-line limit.
    Please don't spam the Usenet.

    Alan C

    Alan Connor, Sep 16, 2003
  5. Joerg

    mjt Guest

    .... i was thinking from the perspective of wanting to
    search for text/etc from a website, if you're not sure
    where it might exist. this way, you can, at your leasure,
    run grep to locate whatever your want, whenever you want :)
    ..

    mjt, Sep 16, 2003
  6. Joerg

    AndyEd Guest

    Three mozilla add-ons come to mind:

    * googlebar.mozdev.org implements highlighting by inserting a range
    around a block of content and wrapping it in a span
    * uzilla.mozdev.org/heuristicreview.html synchronizes a local xml
    datastore with the current page location, loading data where
    appropriate
    ** note, this is an expensive operation and might not be appropriate
    to be running at all times

    Annozilla.mozdev.org operates with a w3c annotation server to provide
    the ability to make notes attached to locations on pages.

    I'd like to have this functionality too!

    -AE

    AndyEd, Sep 18, 2003