    on this newsgroup told me that was the smart thing to do. Now I need to
    know exactly why. Can somebody give me hard technical details rather
    than opinion? Thanks.

    William W. Plummer, Feb 8, 2005

  2. William W. Plummer

    Gunther Guest

    Assuming you mean you've configured the mail/newsreader not to display
    html...
    HTML can contain links to objects with your email id encoded in
    the name. Spammer sends mail to you, and when your html-enabled
    reader opens the mail, his webserver logs will show that file
    being retrieved. Voila, your email address is confirmed as good.

    Gunther, Feb 8, 2005

  3. William W. Plummer

    Drude Guest

    Assuming you mean you've configured the mail/newsreader not to display

    Of course, if you're SMART and only open email from people you know and
    trust, plus use spam blockers and email filters, then you don't have to
    worry about the HTML problem in the first place. Personally, I leave my
    HTML on, as it's a pain in the ass otherwise. I'm just careful about what
    email I allow into my Inbox.

    Also, I'm not paranoid and realize that not everyone in the world is trying
    to spam me.

    Drude

    Drude, Feb 8, 2005
  4. Ahh. I think I understand now. Thanks to the those that replied.
    Apparently the worst thing that will happen is some spammers will figure
    out that my email address is valid and then pour trash at it. I
    believe my I can mark that as Junk and it won't be a bother after awhile.

    William W. Plummer, Feb 8, 2005
  5. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    Amazingly, out of 1000 spams, less than 1 percent ever use the HTML
    trick of verifying your address. You can check it yourself if you have a
    mind to.
    And exactly what are you hiding? Since you are in receipt of the
    spam, its obvious the spammer already HAS your address. To the spammer,
    it doesnt matter if its valid or not, he will send to it anyway, after
    all it costs him nothing, and who knows, someone just might open an
    email adddress of that name.
    Hundreds of times, people have 'warned' me of this HTML
    targetting. Yet not only do I run with HTML enabled, I actually open
    each and every spam and go to the sites listed! Yet my spam has remained
    at its current level for the last two years! Where is all this 'extra'
    spam I am suppossed to get?

    Moz Champion, Feb 9, 2005
  6. William W. Plummer

    Drude Guest

    Where is all this 'extra'

    Aha!!!

    Good question!

    Could it be that 'they' want you to believe that everyone on earth is out to
    get you? That 'hackers' want to corrupt your hard drive, format your
    floppies, 'infect' your computer with viruses that'll make it explode AND
    break into your banking website to view your account information (if they
    were to check mine, they would find it in the negative right now!!!!)?

    Yes, there ARE viruses out there, yes, there ARE malicious people intent on
    wrecking things for the average PC user...

    BUT, there ARE many millions of dollars to made by convincing the average
    computer owner that these problems are FAR worse than they really are!

    I've said it before, I'll say it again... I've used computers and been on
    the internet for 12 years now. I have had ONE malicious attack which I
    manually deleted in about two hours. I have NEVER had a true virus, have
    never had my browser hijacked, and have NEVER had my computer explode!
    really!

    As for people wanting to hack into your computer and look at your personal
    files or bank info... why would they want to? Are you important? A
    millionaire? Do you have sensitive government information on your computer?
    No?

    Then relax!

    Run Adaware a couple of times a week, have an antivirus program (and NOT
    Norton...use AVG 7) and a firewall... and enjoy the internet.

    I'm tired of all of the paranoia!!!!

    Just my two cents' worth...

    Drude

    Drude, Feb 9, 2005
  7. William W. Plummer

    Ed Mullen Guest

    In the world today I think that paranoia is a good thing. But I agree,
    most people are WAAAAY to worried. And way too lax. Interesting dilemma.

    Install, run, update adware, anti-virus, firewall software. And spend
    the cost of a couple of bottles of good wine on a router and install and
    run it. Be skeptical. After all that you can afford to not be
    paranoid. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 9, 2005
  8. Thanks again for the perspective. I'm coming to the conclusion there
    are a number of self-aggrandizing persons in this world who invent
    situation to worry about and appoint themselves as the experts. If they
    had anything worthwhile to do, they wouldn't spend their time worrying
    about bogymen in the closet. I could be wrong, however.

    William W. Plummer, Feb 9, 2005
  9. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    Yep, that about sums it up.
    Depending upon who you listen to...

    HTML is evil
    Cookies are evil
    Javascript is evil
    Microsoft is evil

    and so on <g>

    You dont have to be paranoid, simply practice safe hex

    Moz Champion, Feb 10, 2005