HP Vectra VL Series 7 6/233 DT

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Hi all,

    I am trying to sort the subject line pc out for my aunt.

    What i thought would be a simple job of installing a pci conexant softk56
    voice/data/ modem, has turnt
    into a complete nightmare.

    I can never seem to get the right drivers for it, when installing it ask for
    a cab file.
    When i do have it installed correclty it is on COM 2 as far as i know there
    is no COM2 on the pc.

    COM1 just states no modem detected and the modem is on COM2 which i cannot
    for the life of me seem to be able to alter.

    Running Win98SE. BIOS set to pnp.

    Ive also installed my old faithful rockwell external which it appears to
    talk to as the little lights, light up lol
    but it then comes up with no modem found, if i install it manually it still
    goes to wrong port.

    Help please, my sanity is losing it!!

    Cheers

    Richard

    Richard, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Richard

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Richard typed:
    Unplug all modems and delete them from device manager. Re-boot.

    Go into device manager and check the yellow exclamations to see if there are
    still any conflicts. If there is an on-board modem it may need to be
    disabled in BIOS.

    Paul - xxx, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Hi Paul, thanks for info, but still no joy.

    The modem show as fine in device manager (No exclamation marls or any other
    warnings).
    Ive checked the BIOS but all seems ok.

    The main issue seems to be that it installs to com2 and nothing is detected
    on com1.
    there appears to be no com2, so i am baffled to how it installs to com2 and
    nothing on com1
    could this still be a BIOS issue?

    any more help much appreciated

    Regards