    reboots, it attempts to reinstall (which fails).

    Come on HP, based on the number of consumers using your products,
    drivers should have been out before the final release of x64!

    Craig Branson, Aug 8, 2006

  2. Here, my 2355 psc is working very fine. This driver ought to work with the
    1610, which again should be a close cousin to your 1510. The installer,
    though is a bit involved. I still run the pre-Beta drivers and some of what
    I tell you may have changed since.

    1. If the installation fails, the installer steps in and automatically
    removes it on the following re-boot.

    2. Do not turn on your printer until the Installer tells you to.
    (In fact, don't even have it plugged in!)

    3. When you have plugged it in and turned it on, a long time may pass
    before the next thing happens.

    4. Halfway through the installation, the HP Installer calls up Windows
    New Hardware Found, and Windows Installer - do not abort it - this is not a
    bug or error although a bit odd. Complete it and press 'Finish' as is
    normal. Now the HP installer continues. A failure may happen if you are not
    in the USA, when it tries and locate an international '*.HLP' file, sadly
    the installation will not continue without this rather insignificant help
    file.(which is a bit ridiculous) - it is hidden away in some directory among
    the files that came along with the installation, you should be able to find
    it among other language related stuff there, just point it to it and you
    should be rolling.

    Now, you will not be able to [scan] from the Printer's Panel and Buttons,
    just go to the [Cameras and Scanners] applet in Control Panel and I bet you
    will have full functionallity of your Printer.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 8, 2006

  3. Not sure which file you are talking about.

    Craig Branson, Aug 9, 2006
  4. Sorry, I was under the impression that you had unsuccessfully tried this
    beta driver, it can be had from PlanetAMD64.com as:

    Downloads > Windows Drivers & Applications - AMD64 > Miscellaneous > HP
    5.64.0.17 x64 driver

    this is an *.exe file - it used to be a *.zip file (the one I was refering
    to).

    The link on the site connects directly to a HP FTP server and has been
    verified by people here to work, although not everything will be supported,
    I think you can have good hope for your '1510'.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 9, 2006
  5. Tony, This is the same file I have been working with without success.
    Thanks anyway. I even uninstalled everything and download the file from
    PlanetAMD64 with the same results.

    Craig Branson, Aug 9, 2006
  6. O.K. - I will try and update my installation from this file, but I am quite
    under pressure from the burden of 'life' itself at the moment and I need to
    re-install my system first, too - so, it might not be the first day or two?

    Of the steps I mentioned:

    . . .did you recognize step four? Do you find it confusing that at one
    point you are looking at two seemingly conflicting printer installers on top
    of each other? ( and I was assuming that this behavior hasn't changed since
    the version that I am familiar with )

    When, the installer starts - is your printer connected and turned on?

    Did the installation complete without error, only to attempt to re-install
    on the next boot?

    Is this to understand that you can print normally, just not scan?

    Did you try scanning through the Cameras & Scanners applet?

    Did you install any of the 32bit HP printer support software
    (what's-it-called - Image Zone and Director?)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 9, 2006
  7. Step 4 came and went with the usual windows hardware wizards coming up
    while the HP applet is still running, I have to work thru the windows
    wizards and their failure do to class installer not being allowed. I am
    in the U.S.A. so the help file never seems to be a problem.

    I do not turn on or connect the PSC until the HP applet calls for it,
    then after windows does its song and dance (see above) the HP applet
    finishes without error.

    The scanner & camera wizard does not recognize any imaging device
    because of the windows failures. While the printer functions are
    working fine.

    The image zone software is on the drive but not fully installed either.

    If I need scanner functions I connect directly to my laptop running XP
    Pro for now until HP gets off their *beep* so I will continue to wait I
    guess.

    Good Luck with your re-install by the way. Hope all goes well.

    Craig Branson

    Craig Branson, Aug 9, 2006
  8. Craig Branson

    Guest Guest

    Craig:
    My HP PSC 1410 scanner works perfectly well as a scanner on x64.
    I can use MS Office Document Scanning with no problems.
    Note that I followed HP's procedure for installing the drivers very
    carefully (the ones that come in a printout with your PSC).
    Carlos

    Guest, Aug 9, 2006
  9. One other thing I came to think of was a genuine Carlos trick, I think. He
    actually found a way to see what was compatible by reading the *.INF file.
    If it appears there, it is directly supported, if not it still ought to work
    by family relations.

    I would try and uninstall everything with regards to this printer - take it
    off and make a coldboot and uninstall every bit of it's earlier presence and
    re-boot again. Then start all over from scratch. And, I'd perhaps even try
    and download the file again, just to be certain.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 10, 2006
  10. Craig Branson

    Guest Guest

    This is the HP download page I used:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...product=441115&dlc=en&softwareitem=oj-39336-1
    for the x64Drv5.64.0.17.exe file
    These are HP's recommendations:
    Installation Instructions: USB Connection
    1. Download the x64Drv5.64.0.17.exe file.
    2. Once downloaded, choose Open or just run the x64Drv5.64.0.17.exe.
    3. Follow onscreen instructions listed below.
    Note: There may be a long pause between each of the steps below.
    4. Choose Direct Connect.
    5. Power on the printer, and connect it to the computer when prompted.
    6. The "Found New Hardware Wizard" will be displayed.
    7. Select No, not this time.
    8. Select Install the software automatically (Recommended).
    9. Depending on your product, you might see one or more Windows' warning
    screens.
    10. Click Continue anyway or Yes each time these Windows warning screens
    appear.
    11. Click Finish.
    12. Reboot your computer (Highly Recommended).

    and, finally, here goes the download link:
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL13996/oj-39336-1/x64Drv5.64.0.17.exe
    Carlos

    Guest, Aug 10, 2006