    I have posted this before and as a result downloaded the latest software
    and drivers from the hp website. But my printer settings still don't show
    any ink level gage. Is there a 1-800 number for help with hp printers? tx

    lbbs, Dec 29, 2003

  2. [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to
    the cited author.]

    You MUST have full bidrectional support for ink levels to work in
    Windows. Further, I don't think it works with USB on some models. More
    details on which version of Windows, and your connection type (parallel or
    USB) would help. Also, some driver versions come in corporate or home. The
    home versions have the ink level support and install using a setup
    program. The corporate doesn't support in levels, and installs using Add
    Printer and looking for the .INF file.

    You can get the level directly from the printer. Hold down the power
    button, press the X button 4 times, then the paper-feed button once (or is
    it twice?), then let go of the power button. This will print a status
    page. At the bottom is the estimated ink levels. I=black, II=color.

    Also, you can simply open up the cover. The carriage will move over and
    point at one of 5 icons molded into the printer. The ones with little
    waves in them mean ink low. One dot=black, 3 dots = color. The sad faces
    mean a cartridge problem. The happy face means everything is fine.

    Andrew Rossmann, Dec 29, 2003

  3. lbbs

    lbbs Guest

    Thanks, that was helpful. btw: I have win2k pro, if that makes any
    difference.

    lbbs, Dec 29, 2003
  4. A last effort is to try and get as clean an install as possible.

    Disconnect the printer from the computer.

    Uninstall the HP software. You can do this from Start/Settings/Control
    Panel/Add/Remove Programs, or rerun the printer setup program, but choose
    the remove option.

    Go to Start/Settings/Printers. On the File menu, go to Server
    Properties, then the Drivers tab. Remove any drivers for your 932.

    Reboot the computer to flush out anything left over.

    Download the latest Home version from HP:
    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareDownloadIndex.jhtml?
    reg=&cc=us&softitem=dj966en&prodId=hpdeskjet919034
    &lc=en&plc=&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software
    (shorter version: http://makeashorterlink.com/?G68643BE6)

    Run the download, which will extract the files then automatically runs
    the setup.

    At some point, it will tell you to connect the printer. Do it then. If
    not, wait until it ends, then connect the printer.

    Andrew Rossmann, Dec 30, 2003
  5. lbbs

    lbbs Guest

    Those icons that show the levels, shows that my color cartridge is empty.
    The
    only question I have is, how can that one arrow show the level for both the
    color
    and the black cartridge at the same time? tx

    lbbs, Dec 30, 2003
  6. lbbs

    mcalhoun Guest

    Where can I get software that shows how much ink level I have left in
    The HP PCL Technical Reference Manual (on CD-ROM is less than $10, but
    it's hard to purchase even though it is featured on an HP website).

    I've not looked for commands which do ink-level reporting (or any other
    reporting, for that matter), but if they exist and they are PCL (Printer
    Control Language), they BETTER be in the Tech Ref Manual!

    --Myron.

    mcalhoun, Jan 27, 2004