HP Pavillion dv6150 does not recognize CD/DVD

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ritter197, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    My HP Pavillion dv6150us does all of a sudden not recognize the CD/DVD
    drive. I deleted the driver, re-installed it. Did not work. I went back to
    Windows XP Restore and restored it to 1/20/2007, when I bought the
    otherwise wonderful laptop.
    It still did not recognize the drive.

    In Device manager it shows the CD/DVD drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM but with a
    yellow exclamation mark in it.

    Uninstalling the driver does work, but the automatic re-install upon startup
    results in the same , no recognition under My Computer and yellow
    exclamation mark when looked at in Device manager.

    There is no newer driver on the HP website.

    When I got this laptop new 1 week ago all worked fine.

    What else can I do to regain my CD/DVD drive. Mechanically it seems to work,
    because upon start up or when I put a CD in it, I see the green light for a
    little while.

    Using Windows XP Media Center.

    Ritter197, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Ritter197

    JTJersey Guest

    Sounds like the drive may have gone bad. Happens more often than you
    think. If it's new, I'm sure it's covered under your warranty. Doesn't
    take much effort to yank the drive out and replace it, but if you go
    fooling around with drivers and settings they might try to blame you for
    the malfunction. Check with HP for a replacement or at least for some
    product support.

    Also, it's best not to cross post, especially to five different groups.

    JTJersey, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Ritter197

    Mike Walsh Guest

    Is the drive recognized correctly by the BIOS?
    See if it works with another OS e.g. using a bootable DOS or Linux CD.
    Because it is only a week old you could probably take it back and exchange it for another one.

    Mike Walsh, Jan 30, 2007
  4. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    Thanks for your answer and I did cross post so that a person who does not
    see the one newsgroup, may see it in another and be able to help.
    I see no problem there. If one sees the same message. one does not have to
    click it on. Or am I missing something?

    But I do not think it is the drive. Green lights come on when a CD is
    inserted. One can also hera it spinning, when I put in a Recovery disk from
    HP.

    It just does not do anything else. No music, no installation of programs.

    Ritter197, Jan 30, 2007
  5. Ritter197

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    You mean its no problem that I read your spam
    on all these groups? That everybody enjoys reading
    the same shit again and again? Download it several
    times?
    Its called Asocial Behavior.

    Sjouke Burry, Jan 31, 2007
  6. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    WHAT language!!!

    Ritter197, Jan 31, 2007
  7. Ritter197

    Neil Green Guest

    In device manager, delete the IDE controller.
    Reboot and let XP reinstall it.
    If it's still not working take it in for a warranty
    repair.

    Neil Green, Jan 31, 2007
  8. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    I tried everything including hours with HP in India support to no avail.

    I had to Restore the system, the way HP originally delivered it. (very easy
    F11 when starting up and it kept the application I had installed, but
    restored the Windows Media XP OS).

    THAT worked great and I have to watch now very carefully, what could have
    possibly caused the anoyance. I think it happened after Windows update of 57
    items.

    Ritter197, Jan 31, 2007
  9. Ritter197

    Neil Green Guest

    Some poorly written apps can cause that behaviour but
    at other times the cause remains a mystery.
    I've seen it more than once when both optical drives
    become inacessable, usually a reinstall of the IDE
    controller will fix it.
    It happened to me once when ripping a scratched CD,
    the program hung and I had to reset the PC then when
    it restarted I'd lost both the drives.
    If the same thing happens when you update windows next
    time remove updates one by one with add/remove
    programs and see if you can find out which one (if
    any) is causing the problem, but I doubt that
    Microsoft software would be the culprit, it's usually
    very well tested.

    Neil Green, Jan 31, 2007
  10. Ritter197

    JTJersey Guest

    How did you restore the system if the drive didn't work?

    JTJersey, Feb 1, 2007
  11. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    Thanks for the additional help and advice.

    I will keep it in the back of my mind should it ever happen again. In 20 +
    years it never happened before, I should add though.

    Thanks again

    Ritter197, Feb 2, 2007
  12. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    HP has a nifty sytstem. You hold F11 key and that restores the system to
    factory default.

    Ritter197, Feb 5, 2007