    results (Power, battery LED's at half power, machine otherwise dead).

    Any helps or thoughts appreciated.

    -David

    David Whitney, Aug 15, 2004

  2. David Whitney

    Pauline Guest

    Hi David, I have a similar HP Laptop which is 15 months old and just out of
    guarantee, with exactly the same problem. The lithium ion battery was fine
    up to a few weeks ago, and now it is completely dead, and won't charge. The
    light on the computer just flashes on and off, indicating the battery either
    has a fault, or there is no battery present. As the price of a new battery
    is well over £100 I want to be sure it is the battery that is at fault. Not
    sure how to go about that without having to pay the earth at P C World.

    I would also appreciate any thoughts. Pauline

    Pauline, Aug 15, 2004

  3. David Whitney

    John Guest

    If the machine won't run from the PSU without the battery in place and the
    PSU is OK then I would guess at a computer fault. I would need to get my
    hands on the machine to make sure. It may well be worth taking it to a local
    computer store and ask them what the problem is. You should be able to get
    an opinion for free and a quote for the repair.

    PSU=Power Supply Unit.

    John, Aug 15, 2004
  4. David Whitney

    Hamman Guest

    what exactly is 'calibrating the battery'? I've used hundreds of laptops and
    have never needed to d this.

    If it doesnt boot when on AC power, then it sounds like somethings screwed
    in the laptop. My first guess would be the voltage relay circuits, since
    thats what you were last stressing.

    I agree with John, take the laptop to you local PC shop, or if its under a
    year old tke it straight back.

    hamman

    Hamman, Aug 15, 2004
  5. Thanks for the suggestions.

    Is there one critical relay module I'm looking at, or could it be
    several?

    If there's a part I can order to try and fix it myself, I'm game. I've
    torn the thing down before.

    -David

    David Whitney, Aug 16, 2004
  6. Well, not that anyone necessarily cares, but just in case some other
    unfortunate soul encounters symptoms similar to mine...

    I took the unit to a local repair shop, and they suspected the AC
    power jack in the back. Well, when I talked to the tech yesterday, he
    was partially right - the jack was loose, but when he looked at it, he
    noticed burn damage around an IC near the jack, indicating that it had
    been arcing significantly and apparently for some time. The IC was
    apparently part of the power circuitry of the unit, and is fried. The
    only solution is a new motherboard - the IC is surface-mounted, not
    socketed. Cost: $565 plus tax for a new MB, plus $200 labor to install
    it. That's over $800 to fix a two-year-old laptop. I politely
    declined, and he agreed completely....

    I've looked in past posts, and found this particular HP laptop to not
    have a particuarly good track record. IT was a gift, so I can't
    complain, but surely 2 years isn't the expected lifespan of a typical
    laptop (regardless of warranty length), and this was NOT subject to
    hard use - it was used frequently, but it never "traveled" - it was a
    "household convenience" laptop.

    All I can suggest is Don't Buy HP...my replacement, whenever $$
    allows, will be a Dell..

    -David

    David Whitney, Aug 19, 2004
  7. David Whitney

    Unknown Guest

    First off, a good TV repairman can probably fix the board assuming you can get
    the IC for about 50 bucks.

    Unknown, Aug 19, 2004
  8. David Whitney

    Tierneyeom

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    RE:

    Well, not necessarily that someone cares, but in the case of another
    Soul unfortunate encounter symptoms similar to me ...

    I took the camera to a repair shop and have suggested that AC
    Power connector on the back. Well, when I talked about technology, yesterday
    was partly right - the plug is loose, but when he saw
    noticed burn damage to a chip near the point, indicating that they
    important and apparently worked for some time. The CI was
    apparently as part of the circuitry of the device is fired. L '
    only solution is a new motherboard - the structure is not IC
    Urn fields. $ 565 plus tax to install a new MB and $ 200 labor: cost
    it. Building with more than $ 800 a laptop two years ago. I politely
    refused, and he agreed entirely ....

    I looked at previous posts and found this particular HP laptop
    They have a history are particularly good. It 'was a gift, I can not
    To complain, but certainly not two years of life expectancy of a type of
    Laptop (regardless of the duration of the warranty) and has not been
    difficult to use - has often been used, but never "gone" - it was a
    "Administrative Simplification" laptop.

    Tierneyeom, May 3, 2011