    Is there a way around this or can I override this somehow?
    TIA
    ron

    Ronald Murray, Jun 20, 2008

  2. Ronald Murray

    Paul Guest

    There are discs for sale here, but who knows if they're
    the real mccoy.

    http://www.computersurgeons.com/shoppingcart/a.htm

    At least that gives a part number to play with.

    "HP a1560n 5092-4198 XP Media"

    I tried the HP Parts store, but that part number is
    not offered for sale. It is listed on the site, so the
    part number exists, but they don't sell it. For example,
    select USA, then on the next page, try the eight digit plus
    hyphen part number. It might have been offered during the
    warranty period or something.

    http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Country_Choice.asp

    5092-4198 Part is not orderable in the HP Parts Store.
    Recovery CD - (63NAemMPA1S2) base image plus supplement (English)

    I also see the information offered as a 9.9GB BitTorrent, but
    that seems a cruel way to get what you want. A huge download and
    no guarantee of what waits inside.

    I see a reference here to the subject. I find it hard to believe
    that something names "hpcd.sys" would be used as a mechanism
    to control the number of copies made. And there is no guarantee
    that the same method is used with all HP computers.

    http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2004/1/18/113551/618

    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=3405221

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 22, 2008

  3. Ronald Murray

    Baron Guest

    Why not just go to the HP web site and download the drivers ! Almost
    any oem XP CD will give you the rest. You also won't get the rubbish
    that HP put on the machine in the first place.

    Baron, Jun 22, 2008
  4. Ronald Murray

    Baron Guest

    I've never bothered with the restore CD/DVD. I just do a clean install
    from the XP/W2K/ME/98SE oem CD and download the appropriate drivers for
    that machine, from HP.

    Baron, Jun 22, 2008
  5. Ronald Murray

    Baron Guest

    think that would fail too.

    Yes a retail license won't work.
    Yes an OEM version not retail.
    Thats not an OEM CD ! That is a manufacturers restore CD and its quite
    different.

    Baron, Jun 23, 2008