    about 1 year. Question..
    Is there any coating or other method for preventing this from occurring? Any
    info would be appreciated.

    SVT1, May 5, 2005

  2. SVT1

    Varistor Guest

    | I have a Hewlett Packard DeskJet 882c. It uses c1823d (23) color and 51645a
    | (45) black ink cartridriges. All of my prints have faded (went off hue) in
    | about 1 year. Question..
    | Is there any coating or other method for preventing this from occurring? Any
    | info would be appreciated.

    It was never a "Photo Quality Printer" to beigin with. Plus it is discontinued.

    What do you expect for the cheaper tri-colour cart. anyway ?

    Varistor, May 6, 2005

  3. SVT1

    rafe bustin Guest

    There are a bunch of laminates and sprays,
    though no real hard data on how each one
    helps or hurts. Henry Wilhelm now tests
    at least a couple of these.

    Framing prints behind glass or plexi is
    always a good idea. It keeps reactants
    in the air from getting at the inks, and
    it blocks UV from the print's surface.

    There are lots of cheap frames to be had -
    check in places like AC Moore.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, May 6, 2005
  4. You can do a variety of things to improve print life, but the best way to
    prevent prints from fading is to get an Epson R800 or R1800 or other pigment
    ink printer. The pigment ink inkjets are one of the most archival color
    print technologies ever, but the dye ink inkjets are one of the least.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, May 6, 2005
  5. SVT1

    Sheldon Guest

    My understanding is you can resolve this by using HP ink and HP photo
    papers. It seems if you don't combine all these elements from the same
    manufacturer your photos will fade in a short time. BTW, even your
    furniture and carpets will fade if they are in direct sunlight.

    Sheldon, May 6, 2005
  6. SVT1

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Are you using HP inks, on HP (or Kodak) papers? If not, that may be
    the problem. Are you hanging the prints in direct sunlight without UV
    protection? I have a print from an old HP printer I have carried in my
    pocket for at least 5 years. No fading.

    Ron Hunter, May 6, 2005
  7. SVT1

    SimonLW Guest

    I use a Epson 860 Photo "clog monster". Anyhow, when it is working it makes
    great prints. I did an experiment by printing out color bars on plain and
    Epson photo mat paper. I placed a strip of glass over 1/3, plexi over 1/3
    and left the final 3rd open. I placed this in a window for 5 months of
    strong sunlight and kept another piece in dark storage in a Mylar sleeve as
    a control piece to compare.

    The plain paper faded severely, the photo paper much less, but had
    noticeable fading. The glass made very little difference perhaps due to the
    glass in the window already blocking some UV. The plexi (acrylic) was slight
    improvement. I think the intense visible light and heat build-up was a major
    cause of the fading. I was impressed with the performance of the photo paper
    under such extreme conditions. So, use photo paper! If you are, try another
    brand.

    As a side note, I took an old limited edition print that was damaged (offset
    litho), cut it into strips and taped it to the window. Its yellow ink had
    completely faded giving it a magenta cast in 4 months. The print was from
    the 1970s. I here some of the newer, bolder color inks can fade faster
    (offset press inks).

    -S

    SimonLW, May 6, 2005
  8. SVT1

    Marvin Guest

    I've been using HP printers since their first DeskJet, and have been printing digital
    pictures since the early digicams (my first one was 0.8 MP!) with tricolor cartridges.
    For some time, I've been using HP inks with Kodak paper, using Kodak's recommended
    settings. I don't have a problem with fading.

    I have one wedding picture that is 5 years old, which I printed a bit too large for the
    frame, which is just two sheets of glass. The picture is exposed to room light, but not
    sunlight. The part of the picture that is outside the glass is not distinguishable from
    the part that is covered, and neither shows evidence of fading. One of the pix from my
    first digicam did fade, but it was sitting on a window sill.

    His problem may be in the way he is mounting or framing his pix, or with exposure to
    sunlight. And he didn't say what kind of paper he is using.

    Marvin, May 6, 2005
  9. SVT1

    ORION Guest

    It was never a "Photo Printer" to begin with but a "Color" printer. The new
    "HP Photosmart" are engineered for photo printing. I suggest a newer
    photosmart printer that uses the 90' series print cartridges. If you decide
    to using same manfacturer paper as well as the ink and the paper are
    designed to be used together. This will yeild a high quality print that is
    designed to last for some years.

    ORION, May 6, 2005