    The universal cry I hear in response to this problem is "bad print cartridge". Remove black cartridge and print again. If printing still slow, reinstall black and remove color. If printing speeds up after removal of either, you've found your culprit.

    This does not work in my case. What else should I check. Problem has been only recently - last 3weeks to a month.

    PC is HP Pavilion with 3GB RAM, Vista SP2. Has printed very quickly until last 3 weeks. Cartridges replaced and aligned around that time. No error codes from the physical printer or the installed printer.

    thekmanrocks, Apr 6, 2014

  2. thekmanrocks

    Paul Guest

    Open Task Manager.

    Maybe your CPU is pegged for some reason, and
    the poor print task is getting no CPU to use.
    It can only process and buffer up "a swath
    at a time".

    Try disabling your AV program (use the "temporary
    disable" setting), and retest the print speed.
    In case the AV is fighting with the printing
    software.

    And if the CPU is pegged, even without any printing
    taking place, you have other problems.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 7, 2014

  3. thekmanrocks

    thekmanrocks Guest

    CPU wavers between 5-20 percent during printing and multitasking.

    And I did more closely check those cartridges! Turns out removal of the color speeds up printing dramatically, useful for B&W only documents.

    I bought the cartridges at Staples over one month ago, and no longer have the receipt. Am I up the creek for a replacement #57?

    thekmanrocks, Apr 11, 2014
  4. thekmanrocks

    Paul Guest

    Unless it had a Staples tag on it, I would not
    expect them to take it back.

    And even if all paper work was in good order, what
    would prevent you from returning an empty cart for
    your money back ? Does the packaging use serial numbers
    to identify the stuff ?

    I suppose they could check the "chip" inside the
    cartridge, to see how many print cycles it had
    gone through. Staples won't know how to do that.

    You'll have to talk to Staples or HP, and see what they
    can do for you.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 11, 2014