HP DeskJet 1120C Stops During Printing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. The colour printer here at work is driving me crazy! As I said in my
    subject line, I'm using an HP DeskJet 1120C and running Windows XP SP2
    with a P4 at 3.1Ghz and 256mb RAM. About 15/16ths of the way through
    printing it will suddenly just quit as it's finishing up the last 1/4"
    of printing it needs to do. It just sits there with both the power
    button and the manual paper feed button flashing (green and yellow
    lights accordingly).

    But here's the weird thing! It's not on every job ... only when I am
    doing multiple copies or trying to print one copy of the same job
    followed immediately by another copy of the same one. The "proof"
    that I make always comes out fine, meaning the first copy. Then after
    getting the okay from the owner I'll have to make several more copies
    of it. I've tried just doing it one at a time (keeping the copies
    area set to 1) and also tried putting in the exact number of copies I
    need. Both ways it stops and always at the same point about 98% of
    the way finished with the printing.

    I tried a suggestion I found on a website about another HP printer
    doing this where someone said to turn it off and rest it for a few
    minutes and then start again. That works but only sometimes. I'm
    guessing they assumed it was a print buffer overload. But since this
    thing never tells me what the problem is I have no idea.

    Any ideas why this is happening?

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    zum Guest

    A fix that often works is to uninstall the printer and reinstall it with new
    drivers (if you originally used HP own drivers try the ones that come with
    XP or viz a viz)

    zum, Oct 15, 2004

  3. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    fkasner Guest

    Well I can't tell you what to do but I suspect it is in need of an
    updated driver. I have an 1120c also and it is my main printer (save for
    an older Epson Laser). It worked fine with two older computers that ran
    Win 95B and Win Me. The software did all that HP claimed it should do.
    But I have switched this printer to two other computers. One is an XP
    Home and the other is an XP Pro. The printer has gone nuts. Not your
    errors but it will not print the number of prints I want (very
    frequently only the first page of a two page item). It will print the
    whole of the two page item when all I want is the first page. It prints
    them in reverse order (not too much of nuisance). And it will not show
    me a preview of the printout that is to come. The latter is not a
    terrible thing when doing a printout from a web site since I can preview
    using the browser's software for the whole of the printout. But it is a
    fact that I have lost a lot of the printer's services. I will be going,
    later this evening to a the HP web site and see if there is a revised
    driver that may be available. I would suggest you do the same. I know
    this printer worked on the two previous puters since I used them just
    yesterday. If you find out something else about this malfunction post it
    here so I can see what you found. There must be others like us who need
    this help.
    FK

    fkasner, Oct 15, 2004
  4. I did check to see that I have the latest drivers for this printer.
    I've not tried to re-install them, but I may have to try. The only
    thing that makes me think this is more a printer issue than a driver
    issue is the fact that the previous users of this machine also had the
    same issues when running Windows '98 and '98 SE. This printer was
    made in 1998 and bought in that year as well. But, of course, trying
    to tell the owners that we need a new printer is like asking for them
    to give me their first borne child!

    My own personal guess is memory. I even went to the HP site and used
    a trick inside of XP with stopping the spooler and re-starting it.
    This doesn't work. The only thing that seems to solve it temporarily
    is to shut it down for a while, re-start it and print one page. Then
    repeat the step. But when this thing is limping along at 1 page every
    4 minutes (printing full colour in Best mode) that means it would take
    me all day to print the number of copies that I'm being asked for.

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Oct 15, 2004
  5. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Sano Guest

    <comments>

    I have a 1200se, plain black and white laser. With this one, part of
    reinstalling drivers includes unplugging the power cord for a few minutes.

    <shrug>

    Sano, Oct 29, 2004
  6. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    cpmac

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had this problem with a 1120c. I cured it ( i hope) by cleaning the printer.
    With a soft damp cloth clean the chrome plated bar that the print heads slide on. You'll be surprised how much ink is on there.
    Also clean the clear ribbon that runs parallel to the bar by pinching it (without actually pinching it) and sliding along with a damp cloth.
    Clean inside the cartridge holders and the contacts on the cartridges.

    I also find the printer works better with the 2000 drivers downloaded from HP rather than the ones installed by XP.

    cpmac, Nov 6, 2008