HP 1020 printer disables other USB devices

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mr. Printer, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. Mr. Printer

    Mr. Printer Guest

    Hello group,

    I have a problem with an HP 1020 printer. When the printer's USB cable
    is connected to the computer, other USB devices such as my Corsair USB
    stick, Canon digital camera (for downloading pictures) and a Freecom
    TV-tuner do not work. Other USB devices such as mouse and Canon
    Scanner work fine.

    I have a Win 2K / XP dual boat system on an ASUS P4PE motherboard with
    six USB 2.0. The problem occurs on both OS. I have installed the
    latest drivers for the printer. I have tried moving the USB cables
    around and plugging one in at a time together with the printer. The
    problem remains the same.

    Any help in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Mr. Printer, Nov 8, 2007

  2. Mr. Printer

    Pennywise Guest

    Something to check is the power bandwidth the printer is using. Like
    maybe it's using it all, or most.

    Start | Run <type in>
    devmgmt.msc
    <enter>

    Open Universal serial bus controllers

    Double click on each host controller, advanced.
    see what % of power is reserved for that hub (printer would need to be
    plugged in).

    Pennywise, Nov 8, 2007

  3. Mr. Printer

    Mr. Printer Guest

    There are three host controllers. Bandwith for each is 10%, 23%, and
    10%
    Under USB 2.0 Root Hub I see that USB printer support is using 98mA.
    The rest is 0mA

    Mr. Printer, Nov 8, 2007
  4. Mr. Printer

    Pennywise Guest

    That's normal
    100mA up to a maximum total of 500mA per port.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub#Power

    maybe try another USB card for just the printer, take it back if it
    doesn't work.

    Pennywise, Nov 9, 2007