    ripples would be blurred? Also, to have the darkening in the corners... does
    that indicate a certain filter, or would this be done with Photoshop or
    something? Surely Photoshop is required for this photo?

    Craig, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Craig

    Mark M Guest

    In my opinion, this is simply a back-lit AND severely underexposed shot (at
    least compared to what the scene really would have looked to the eye).
    I believe the actual scene was quite a bit brighter than it appears here.

    The sun isn't actually below the horizon yet...rather it's behind the high
    part of the building. This would mean the general scene was still fairly
    bright compared to how it was captured. Note that there are blue sections
    of the sky that look properly exposed for daylight.
    This would mean that it could still have been shot at a fairly high shutter
    speed, which gave a blue sky, severely underexposed foreground, and dark
    reflections of the underexposed clouds.

    Mark M, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Craig

    Craig Guest

    And the gold sort of effect? Edited, or would that be down to how it looked?

    Craig, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Craig

    Mark M Guest

    looked?

    You mean on the water?
    I don't think there's any tricky photoshopping going on there.
    That's what you'd expect from a sky that color on under-exposed water.
    The key there is the fact that the water's color isn't coming through at all
    in this exposure...only the reflected golden sunset colors.

    Mark M, Aug 4, 2004
  5. Craig

    Craig Guest

    I think I'll need to try this out.

    However, up in Scotland today, there ain't too much chance of sun! Plenty of
    water though.. :)

    Craig, Aug 4, 2004
  6. Craig

    Mark M Guest

    Great!
    -But don't expect to see "gold" unless you've got it in the sky...
    :)

    It's a great shot, and would not be easy for anyone to capture without some
    experimentation.
    ....Not to mention that you've got to find a beautiful sunset...with water
    between you and the sun-obstructing subject.

    Mark M, Aug 4, 2004
  7. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Craig, Aug 4, 2004
  8. Craig

    Igor Sklar Guest

    Camera: Canon EOS 300 D
    Lens: EFS 18-55 mm
    SANDISK Compact Flash Card 256Mb Type II
    and plenty of photoshopping...

    Some recent works by the same Lithuanian author:
    http://img.photosight.ru/2004/05/25/500703.jpg
    http://img.photosight.ru/2004/04/30/476040.jpg
    http://img.photosight.ru/2004/07/07/545478.jpg
    http://img.photosight.ru/2004/07/15/553505.jpg
    http://img.photosight.ru/2004/07/13/551026.jpg

    regards

    Igor Sklar, Aug 4, 2004
  9. Craig

    Mark M Guest

    Tweaking in Photoshop is one thing...
    ....but Photoshop isn't necessary to get this basic effect in terms of
    reflections, etc.

    Mark M, Aug 4, 2004
  10. Craig

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    It's exposed for the bright part of the sky; the shutter speed could be
    quite fast, probably even fast enough to hand-hold the camera. Sunset
    skies are still quite bright, so if you want the foreground to go black
    (clearly the intent in this shot) there isn't much trickery to it.

    Jeremy Nixon, Aug 4, 2004
  11. OK, so, I tried to bring out whatever was there in the shadow areas of
    the image - we're getting into the noise floor here, but there is more
    data in there. You may find it amusing.

    http://www.pbase.com/image/32181860

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Aug 4, 2004
  12. Craig

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 4, 2004
  13. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Craig, Aug 4, 2004
  14. These maintain the standard you have set Igor

    Wonderful!

    Arts

    Arty Phacting, Aug 4, 2004
  15. Craig

    Steven Wandy Guest

    That's not very nice...The answer was correct but he could have found a more polite and diplomatic
    way of expressing himself.
    Sunset pictures are really much easier than they seem.

    Steven Wandy, Aug 5, 2004
  16. Craig

    Tom Monego Guest

    Simply taking advantage of sunset and air pollution, a straight shot. I think
    the exposure is just right, ominous and pretty at the same time. I maybe wrong
    but that is my .02.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Aug 5, 2004
  17. Craig

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 5, 2004
  18. Craig

    Steve Hix Guest

    Not at all. Sounds like the sort of person who can't feel himself
    without knocking down someone else.

    Steve Hix, Aug 5, 2004
  19. It's simply a shot just before sunset. Nothing remarkable whatsoever.
    The light would not be that low, and an exposure of about 1/200 sec is
    quite likely.

    Michael Scarpitti, Aug 5, 2004
  20. Craig

    jpmcw Guest

    There's even less reason to belittle those who haven't earned your enmity.

    jpmcw, Aug 5, 2004