    with xp 64 and vista 64? I know that xp 64 is much more compatible at this
    time but really want vista 64 if it is possible. If anyone could steer me in
    the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

    Guest, Nov 11, 2007

  2. 1.) If you're building it, make sure you use components that have drivers.
    If you have a driver problem on a self-build system, you have only one
    person to blame.

    2.) Most 32-bit software works just fine in 64-bit, whether Vista or XP x64.
    Those that don't are generally those that have either a driver dependency
    (Exchange 2003, for example, which includes its own driver for the file
    system that is 32-bit), or have 16-bit components. (older Win95 applications
    sometimes had 16-bit code, for example.) Another source of 16 bit issues are
    the installation programs. Many older installers were 16 bit even though the
    programs they were installing were 32-bit. There is NO support for any 16
    bit code in 64-bit Windows. Finally, those programs that absolutely insist
    on being run as an administrator. These will generally work, but the
    workarounds often require you to turn off UAC(unacceptable, IMHO), or be
    willing to acknowledge rather more than a desireable number of prompts.

    3.) Printers, scanners and peripherals. Making wise decisions here can save
    you untold amounts of grief. Plan ahead and you'll have no problems at a...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 11, 2007

  3. Guest

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, ingeborgdot.

    Charlie's the guru, but I'd like to add a couple of comments specifically
    about dual-booting.

    If you've installed dual-boot before, then you know the Golden Rule: Always
    install the newest OS last. So, be sure to install WinXP x64 first. Vista
    Setup knows just what to do when it finds an earlier Windows already
    installed, but WinXP's Setup never heard of Vista.

    If you boot into WinXP and run Vista's Setup from there, Vista will "see"
    and inherit WinXP's drive letters. But if you boot from the DVD to run
    Vista's Setup, it will not know WinXP's letter assignments. It will start
    from scratch and assign letters according to its own rules, which are
    different from WinXP and prior Windows versions. It will assign C: to
    Vista's own boot volume, even if that is the 3rd partition on the second
    hard drive. Then it will have to assign a different letter, probably D:, to
    the System Partition - which WinXP probably calls C:.

    This won't confuse either WinXP or Vista. But it might confuse us humans.
    ;^}

    To assure that the same letters apply to the same volumes in both OSes, you
    can use WinXP's Disk Management to assign the letters you want, then run
    Vista Setup from within WinXP, rather than rebooting from the Vista DVD.
    Assign names or labels to each volume to reduce confusion; these names get
    written to the hard drive and don't change, even when "drive" letters do.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 11, 2007
  4. And, as well, if you're dual booting, understand that every time you boot
    into a different OS, you blow away all your restore points. :(

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 11, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    So basically what you are saying is that there is no system restore if you
    have a dual boot system.

    Guest, Nov 11, 2007
  6. Guest

    Jane C Guest

    Hi,

    When dual-booting between Vista and XP, booting into XP will wipe out the
    Vista restore points. Booting into Vista does not wipe out XP restore
    points.

    You would need a 3rd party boot manager with the ability to hide each OS
    from the other to get around it.

    Jane C, Nov 11, 2007
  7. Correct. And much clearer than my lame post. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 12, 2007