How/why always on-line?

Discussion in 'Linux Networking' started by Avoid9Pdf, Jul 17, 2012.

  1. Avoid9Pdf

    Avoid9Pdf Guest

    I'm using the same 10yr-old ppp-script as for my dial-up modem
    on this wireless-modem [by: ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem]

    And it used to <cut off ppp> when I disconnected the USB to the
    wireless-modem; as I wanted.

    Something happened [when I had a crash and changes to my old
    distro]. Now ppp won't die; nor by `kill -9 <ppp-pid>`.

    And pppd won't reconnect without a re-boot.

    Apparently pppd wants to be able to REpeatedly go on-line
    automatically once it's started.

    How can I get the previous/old control, that ppd went off-line
    when I disconnected, but was able to go back on-line when
    I re-connected and called the script?

    == TIA.

    Avoid9Pdf, Jul 17, 2012

  2. ... try add "nopersist" to your config. Regards
    Adam Przybyla

    Adam Przybyla, Jul 17, 2012

  3. Avoid9Pdf

    Avoid9Pdf Guest

    Good, thanks: after adding `demand nopersist`
    I'm now able to `killall pppd`.
    Which previously did NOT kill pppd.
    And then I'm now able to pull-out the USB-line.
    Which previously gave <kernel errors /problems> on this
    knl 2.4*, since my knl 2.6* has crashed.

    I don't trust the system/s.
    Going on line, is like a rocket-launch or a taxi-journey:
    when it's finished, I must disconnect.

    == Chris Glur.

    Avoid9Pdf, Jul 19, 2012