    out in the rain "makes" the shot.

    Do I need to drop my persuit of the pics?

    Thanks in advance,

    chaser, Oct 18, 2006

  2. chaser

    Bob Salomon Guest

    The Wave Case from Kaiser will accept any point and shoot digital camera
    and make any of them waterproof to up to 13'. Very small and easily hand
    holdable. LCD screen is fully useable in the case as are all controls.

    Bob Salomon, Oct 18, 2006

  3. chaser

    chaser Guest

    I assume this means I should take my camera as is into the rain?

    chaser, Oct 18, 2006
  4. chaser

    m Ransley Guest

    I would not use a camera in the rain unless it was made waterproof, even
    extended high humidity can start things growing inside. Buy a waterproof
    camera, or case, keep the s3is dry.

    m Ransley, Oct 18, 2006
  5. I would not take any P&S digital camera into the rain (without protection).
    I would not take any prosumer DSLR there, either. Only some professional
    digital cameras have weather seals, and I would not even take them into the
    rain, without additional protection ... just me and my paranoia.

    Charles Schuler, Oct 18, 2006
  6. chaser

    chaser Guest

    Wow I should have previewed that before posting. lol

    I assume this means I should not take my camera, as is, unprotected into
    the rain?

    chaser, Oct 18, 2006
  7. chaser

    snapper Guest

    Put the camera in a plastic bag.

    snapper, Oct 18, 2006
  8. chaser

    JS Guest

    I wouldn't like my camera to take me out in the rain................

    JS, Oct 18, 2006
  9. chaser

    chaser Guest

    chaser, Oct 19, 2006
  10. chaser

    Alan Browne Guest

    Don't worry about a few drops but continuous rain is definitely going to
    get in here and there and cause problems. I carry my gear in the rain
    mounted on a tripod with a plastic bag over it. Setup under an umbrella
    and shoot after removing the bag. (I do this very occasionally, but
    never a problem).

    Alan Browne, Oct 19, 2006
  11. You can use a camera in the rain for a while as long as you shield it as
    much as possible and keep wiping away the water. Eventually it will get
    too damp inside and the electronics will get weird or the optics will
    fog. Remove the battery and bring the camera to a dry place
    immediately. Don't leave it in a car or bag after it's wet.

    It's difficult to get good photos in the rain. There's a lot of harsh
    glare combined with the low contrast of diffused lighting. A polarizer
    helps a lot to control where you want glare but then you're really short
    on light. Being low on light means that you can't use a combination of
    high shutter speed and small aperture that you'll need to capture
    raindrops instead of something that looks like fog. Cranking up the ISO
    damages the image quality, which you're already short on in such
    conditions. All the time you're spending compromise configurations is
    precious time ticking away before your equipment gets too wet. A friend
    holding a big umbrella and calm wind is your best bet for shooting
    longer than an hour.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Oct 19, 2006
  12. chaser

    Scott W Guest

    I take my cameras in boats on the ocean a fair bit, this includes a
    20D, 350D and Sony F828. I carry a dry towel and dry them off when
    they get splashed, and they are always getting splashed. First time I
    got my F828 soaked from a big wave I just about died, but it came
    through fine and I worry about it a lot less now.

    Still I don't let them stay wet.

    I also have a small waterproof digital for times when I am getting
    really wet.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 19, 2006
  13. Try and keep the camera out of direct rain (umbrella?), but don't worry if
    a few drops get on the lens or body, wipe them off when convenient. Keep
    the camera inside your jacket (out of the rain) when not in use. You are
    lucky in not having an ultra-expensive camera, so if the worst comes to
    the worst it's not a very high replacement cost. Both my wife and I
    regularly use our cameras in the rain, without problems, although her old
    Nikon Coolpix 990 does need a touch of switch-cleaner from time-to-time!

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 19, 2006
  14. chaser

    chaser Guest

    Awesome feedback thank you

    --
    JP

    "No one can tell me where my soul might be;
    I searched for God, but he eluded me;
    I sought my brother and found all three."

    -Ernest Howard Crosby

    chaser, Oct 19, 2006
  15. chaser

    Fred Guest

    Have used both my Canon S30 and S60 quite happily in light rain for several
    years, however a couple of months ago I had occasion to use the S60 in heavy
    rain, very briefly, ie the camera was only out of my pocket for less than a
    minute. On getting home the camera wouldn't power up at all, and the LCD
    screen had gone all 'muddy' looking. I let it dry out for a few days, and it
    came back to life, and is now nearly fully functional again. The only things
    still wrong are the LCD screen having some blotches in it, and the shutter
    release sound no longer works, which is rather inconvenient. I can't really
    justify scrapping the camera because of this, it just makes it rather
    awkward for taking action photos now.

    Fred, Oct 19, 2006
  16. chaser

    Mark B. Guest

    Correct. Unless a camera is advertised as water resistant (the S3 isn't!),
    taking it into rain unprotected is asking for problems.

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 19, 2006
  17. chaser bedacht in
    Pictures taken in rain tend to be very bland. That's why you don't see
    many.

    JL

    Justus Lipsius, Oct 20, 2006
  18. There are a few P&S digital cameras specifically designed to have a
    certain amount of waterproofing - some just to the "use in the rain"
    level only, and some will withstand submersion a few feet. Pentax and
    Olympus, at least, sell such models.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Oct 21, 2006