    they do not have to. You can only send e-mail, no calls, and it got me
    nowhere.

    -g

    geoff, Nov 21, 2004

  2. DavidHoyte

    DavidHoyte Guest

    I now have a copy of Drive Letter Access (DLA) from Sonic installed
    and a CD-RW disk working exactly like a floppy of more than 520 MB
    capacity, on the Dell that has DLA installed, or on my Compaq
    Presario, without DLA.

    More detail is below.

    My most sincere thanks to Thor and others who steered my through the
    education and search for the product best suited to my needs in less
    than a week, here on alt.computer

    Thank you again.

    David

    =================== DETAILS FOLLOW =======================

    I got my ordering problem sorted out with Sonic Solutions eStore
    (), and downloaded a copy of
    Drive Letter Access (DLA) via http://sonic.com/

    Cost: $29.99, plus $4.99 for permanent access to further copies if
    my Dell should crash. Total: $34.98 against my credit card.

    The download took about an hour with my slow 56 Kbaud connection,
    and it installed on my Dell Dimension 2400 without any snags.

    I have formatted a 650 MB CD-RW disk, which leaves me over 520 MB to
    use just like a floppy disk.

    Directories of files on a CD-R are read from the D: (48x CD-ROM)
    drive, and I copy one file at a time, or one directory at a time,
    to the CD-RW disk on my E: (48x CD-RW) drive.

    I moved the same CD-R and CD-RW to my Compaq Presario with ROM and
    ReWritable CD drives, and found I could copy from one to the other
    there, too.

    Files on the CD-RW disk/drive can be altered and Saved, or Saved
    from my Email In-Box, just as on any floppy disk/drive.

    I plan to copy all my 250 MB iOmega Zip disks to 650 MB CD-WR disks
    so I use the drives supplied with my Dell and Compaq, instead of the
    external Zip drives I have been using for some years.

    As well as DLA from Sonic at $29.99,
    similar function is in the software offered by:

    InCD from Ahead Software $69.99

    Easy Media Creator from Roxio $79.99 (after rebate).

    The last two both have more function (musical) than I need.

    DavidHoyte, Nov 21, 2004

  3. DavidHoyte

    Thor Guest

    If you can do this, and you never installed DLA on that Compaq machine, then
    it must have already had some kind of packet writing software installed, and
    you just didn't realize it. Just because you have formatted a packet writing
    CD on one machine, does not mean you can write to it in that fashion on
    another machine without packet wirting software installed on it. The packet
    writing software has to be instaleld and resident on that machine as well in
    order to handle the job of writing to the CD in that manner. Chances are
    that it probably had DirectCD or InCD installed along with it's factory
    installed burning software, and it was just hidden from your view. Most CDs
    formatted in one kind of packet writing software can readily be used with
    another brand of packet writing software, since they all use the UDF file
    system. Additionally, why pay the extra money for unlimited downloads of DLA
    when you could just burn the installation program onto a CD for later use?

    Thor, Nov 21, 2004
  4. DavidHoyte

    Thor Guest

    did you compain to Roxio?

    Thor, Nov 21, 2004
  5. DavidHoyte

    DavidHoyte Guest

    Chances are that it probably had DirectCD or InCD installed along with it's
    factory
    "Chance Are", "Probably", are not words I ever use, professionally.
    ------------
    Would the CD actually work?
    Who knows?

    Why risk anything after all this work, by you and others,
    to give me a solution?!
    -----------

    But don't let me sound churlish, Thor:

    I am immensely grateful for the time and effort that you and others have
    put in to give me CD-RW's that work with floppy-like behaviour.

    I got nine more CD-RW disks today, and will continue to spend the hours
    needed to transfer the data I have on iOmega Zip disks from the crotchety
    Zip drive, to my new CD-RW's.

    Thank you again.

    David

    DavidHoyte, Nov 22, 2004
  6. DavidHoyte

    Thor Guest

    Regardless, packet writing software of some kind MUST exist on the other
    machine for you to be able to write to it that way. There are no exceptions.
    I only generalized because exactly *which* software is installed remains in
    question. That there *IS* packet writing software on that Compaq, is without
    question if you were able to write to it in that fashion on that machine.
    If it was a regular file download, yes it would.

    Thor, Nov 23, 2004
  7. DavidHoyte

    geoff Guest

    did you compain to Roxio?

    Yep and they took care of it promptly . . .

    -g

    geoff, Nov 23, 2004
  8. DavidHoyte

    DavidHoyte Guest

    Tell me something:

    After I have formatted a CR-RW disk to behave like a floppy, its 650 MByte
    capacity is reduced to about 520 MB.

    Can you tell me what is in the 130 MB
    that has gone to making the CD-RW usable as a floppy?

    Does the disk carry with it all the program code (including "packet writing"
    software) needed to make it behave in that way on *any* PC it is pluggged into?

    130 MByte is more than the software in my PC to implement the Iomega disk
    drive!

    Thanks again.

    David

    DavidHoyte, Nov 24, 2004
  9. DavidHoyte

    Plato Guest

    Jeeze I dont use packet writing here at home so no data at hand but a
    floppy disk comes as a 2 meg disk and when you format it you get 1.44
    megs.

    If you format it in DMF you get like 1.8 megs which is pretty much the
    maximum. So there is space taken up by the format.

    So you're losing 20% which off hand, seems ok, but again, I dont use rW
    packet writing.

    Plato, Nov 24, 2004
  10. DavidHoyte

    Thor Guest

    Yep. It is space consumed by writing the UDF file system to the disc.
    No. The packet writing program itself does not accompany or install to the
    formatted CD.
    I know it's a pretty large chunk, but that's what it takes, no matter the
    packet writing program used to format it. It's the UDF file system. Get
    700MB discs and then at least you get a little more room to work with.

    Thor, Nov 24, 2004
  11. DavidHoyte

    Trent© Guest

    Sometimes the packet writing software WILL accompany the
    CD...depending on how you burn it. Then the person on the receiving
    end has the option to install it from the CD...in order to be able to
    use the CD.

    At least that's how I remember it. I haven't used it in a long time.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 27, 2004
  12. DavidHoyte

    Thor Guest

    you are thinking of the UDF reader. That isn't the same as the packet
    *writing* software. DirectCD used to install the UDF file system reader on
    the discs for the benefit of systems that lacked support for the UDF file
    system. It was just a simple driver so it could read the CD properly, and it
    was small enough to fit in a bit of non-UDF formatted area on the disc. It
    wasn't a full blown packet writing program that enabled you to write to the
    disc in other machines. This is unnecessary in any version of windows since
    WinME I believe.

    Thor, Nov 27, 2004
  13. DavidHoyte

    Trent© Guest

    Yup...yer right.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 27, 2004
  14. DavidHoyte

    Help Wanted Guest

    Hello,
    Is this all about "Adeptec" or something of that nature?
    I have an old RW that gives you a choice of doing a disk
    with using it as a floppy or to be used in differnt kinds
    of computers - it is a mess. I donot think they make them
    that way any more, because i donot see it on my newer
    computers, and it is a big thing to get the old disks
    to work on the newer computers. At one time i thought
    i had lost all my art work, however finally got the
    newer computer to accept the old computers disks.
    That made a very religious person out of me!!!!!
    I have been praying Allah, Allah ever since :)

    Help Wanted, Nov 29, 2004
  15. DavidHoyte

    Trent© Guest

    Please don't post this spam for uncensored news. Either pay for a
    real account...or take off their advertising.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 30, 2004