HOW TO: Windows Media Connect on x64 (Xbox 360 owners, listen up!)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Kevin Lowe, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. Kevin Lowe

    Kevin Lowe Guest

    Here's some instructions provided in the Windows Media newsgroup for
    installing Windows Media Connect on x64. If you want your Xbox 360 to
    stream music off your PC, you'll need this software. It's totally,
    way-out-of-left-field unsupported, so don't blame me or MS if this happens
    to blow up your computer, set fire to your lawn, mutate your kids, etc..
    However, it worked for me, so I'll pass it along to everyone else here.
    Below is the message, quoted in its entirety, and someone should commend
    this guy for hooking us up. -KML

    Of course, this is completly unsupported (and totally useful) so you didn't
    hear it from me. You'll need wmccds.exe, wmcsci.dll, and wmccfg.exe from
    out
    of the setup package. You should be able to get it by downloading the setup
    package and opening it up with winzip and just extracting the files. For
    the
    rest of this you'll need to be logged in as an adiminstrator.

    1. Create an install directory. Something like c:\program
    files(x86)\Windows Media Connect 2
    2. Copy wmccds.exe, wmcsci.dll, and wmccdf.exe to your install directory.
    3. Open a 32bit command window and navigate to your install directory.
    4. Run "regsvr32 wmcsci.dll"
    5. Run "wmccds.exe -installwithfiles"
    6. Run wmccfg.exe and complete the "first run wizard"

    To uninstall WMC (without removing any actual files)

    7. exit wmccfg.exe (not just close to the task bar, but actually exit)
    8. run "net stop wmconnectcds" to stop the service.
    9. run "regsvr32 -u wmcsci.dll"

    I haven't actually tried any of this stuff running under WOW on an x64
    system. But that should get you past the setup block.

    Hope it works!

    --
    Alan Ludwig
    Software Design Engineer

    Kevin Lowe, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 22, 2005