How to use two WRE54G Range Expanders on one WRT54G wireless router

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by Tony Martin, Jul 23, 2009.

  1. Tony Martin

    Tony Martin Guest

    Configuration Data:

    WRT54G Router
    Default IP: 192.168.1.1

    1st WRE54G Expander:
    Default IP: 192.168.1.240
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

    2nd WRT54G Expander:
    Default IP: 192.168.1.241
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 [OR] 192.168.1.240 ???

    The Questions ???

    Can both Expanders use the WRT54G's gateway IP?
    i.e. the Router is in the center of two expanders each on
    opposite sides. Example:

    WRE54G(1).........30feet..................[WRT54G]..........30feet................WRE54G(2)

    OR

    does the 2nd expander need to use the gateway IP
    of the first expander? Example:

    [WRT54G]...............30feet..............WRE54G(1).....,,,....30feet............WRE54G(2)

    TIA
    Tony

    Tony Martin, Jul 23, 2009

  2. Tony Martin

    Char Jackson Guest

    They would both use 192.168.1.1 as the gateway IP. I can't help
    thinking your throughput is going to suck, though. I believe it gets
    cut in half when you use a single repeater, so two repeaters does
    what, cut it by 4? Or even worse? You might do a lot better if you can
    replace the repeaters with Ethernet cables, powerline networking, or
    dedicated access point/client pairs that would operate on different
    channels from each other to reduce/avoid interference.

    Char Jackson, Jul 23, 2009

  3. Tony Martin

    Tony Martin Guest

    Thanks for the other suggestions however I already purchased the
    two expanders and am trying to make do.

    Signal degradation is somewhat why I asked the question. I was told
    it was also possible to daisy chain the expanders, i.e. make the first
    the gateway for the next one farthest out. Sounds like you are saying
    NO?? Im amazed at how many opinions are out there. I guess I will
    just have to try the possibilities and monitor the results.

    I currently use just one of these expanders about 40 feet away from
    the wireless router that acts as its gateway and that works perfect.
    No noticeable loss of bandwidth or drop outs.

    Users seem to either love these expanders or hate them. Maybe its
    a case of the Fox calling the grapes sour because they don't know how
    to configure them. Personally I prefer knowing the facts before I
    become a test pilot :)

    TIA,
    Tony

    Tony Martin, Jul 23, 2009
  4. Tony Martin

    Char Jackson Guest

    Nothing like buying first and figuring out later. :) I've probably
    done it myself a few times, but I try not to.
    Yes, you can daisy chain them if you need to, but your diagram above
    made it look like one is hanging off in one direction while the other
    is hanging off in the opposite direction. If you do need to daisy
    chain them, then yes, the gateway IP of the second one will be the IP
    of the first one, while the gateway IP of the first one will be the IP
    of the router.
    I guess it depends on what and how you're testing. If this is all
    about Internet access, then you might be OK, depending on how fast
    your Internet connection is; i.e., how much of a bottleneck it is. If
    you do intraLAN file transfers across the daisy-chained link, you'll
    likely be disappointed.

    I recommend tools such as jperf or iperf (google them) for throughput
    testing.

    Under the best conditions, an 801.11g wireless connection should net
    about 24 Megabits per second. Add a range expander, AKA repeater, and
    throughput should be cut in half because the repeater can't receive
    and send at the same time, so now you're down to a theoretical 12Mbps.
    Add a second repeater daisy-chained and you'd be down to about 6Mbps,
    but that's ignoring all of the interference flying around, so you're
    more likely down to 2-3Mbps, if that.
    I'm in the camp that says use a range expander as a last resort. Every
    other way of expanding a network is probably better, IMHO. But by all
    means, go for it! It's all about learning what works, and you may be
    pleasantly surprised.

    Char Jackson, Jul 23, 2009
  5. Tony Martin

    Tony Martin Guest

    Sorry for my lame diagrams lol the 2nd one was to illustrate the daisy
    chain. Since you have been kind enough to share your knowledge
    info let explain further. I have a home network with 5 PCs, one is
    the server with the WRT54G, two are wired vi cat5 cable and two are
    wireless, with one of those two needing the expander because its
    located on the far end (60 feet away) of the house. This all works
    great.

    I am a Ham radio operator and have an outhouse we affectionately
    refer to as a Ham Shack. This is located 150 feet from the house.
    My little hotspot locator gives me 1 green led right up to the outside
    wall of the shack (which is enough to just make a connection) but once
    I move inside the signal goes red. Thus I want to place the 2nd
    expander on an outside wall of the main house (where I get 3 green
    bars) that faces towards the shack and should give a usable signal
    inside the shack.

    I could run a cat5 out there but it would be difficult and Im lazy,
    "so, there it is" as the Austrian King often said.

    73 and thanks again for your feedback!
    Tony

    Tony Martin, Jul 23, 2009
  6. The message <>
    from Tony Martin <> contains these words:

    Here's a suggestion, plug the phrase "wok antenna" (with or without
    quotes) into a search engine. Considering your hobby, I think you'll
    find the results of considerable interest. You could also try "pringles
    cantenna" and variations thereof. ;-)

    HTH

    Johnny B Good, Jul 23, 2009