How to use IPSEC to require secure access file server?

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by Mygposts, Mar 9, 2009.

  1. Mygposts

    Mygposts Guest

    I can't find any IPSEC configuguration instructions that show specific
    examples of common configurations. I don't want to try to reinvent the wheel
    configuring from scratch if it is a common setup that I can just plug in host
    names and IP addresses.

    We have a Server 2003 SP2 File server/Sharepoint Server on our domain that
    we would like to only accept connections from a restricted group of computers
    and always require secure encypted connections. All the machines that need
    to connect are XP SP2 or Server 2003 SP2.

    Suppose the the server name is FILESRV1 and IP is 10.0.1.20
    Machines that need to access have IP addresses 10.0.2.120, .122, .130.,
    ..132, .199

    What are the settings we would select in the IPSEC configuration?
    Do we need to add both user names and computer names to "Access this
    computer from the network" for the file server or just computer names?

    Mygposts, Mar 9, 2009

  2. Mygposts

    moncho Guest

    I don't know the specific answer, as others in this group are more
    knowledgeable, but couldn't the restricted machines be handled by
    Windows Firewall and the encrypted connections be handled by
    a Group Policy that works with the Security Options?

    moncho

    moncho, Mar 10, 2009

  3. I would like to do the exact same thing. Did you ever find a solution.

    Googling gives us some dreaded Microsoft articles filled with non practical facts and troubleshooting tips about inner workings of IPSec. Yes if I knew how to set it up I would have something to troubleshoot, till then they are putting the cart in front of the horse.

    I am offering my email address so that readers don't have to become egghead subscribers to correspond with me

    m u s z y n g r @ y a h o o . c o m

    Mygpost wrote:

    How to use IPSEC to require secure access file server?
    09-Mar-09

[...]

    Re: How to use IPSEC to require secure access file server?
    Mygposts wrote:

    I don't know the specific answer, as others in this group are more
    knowledgeable, but couldn't the restricted machines be handled by
    Windows Firewall and the encrypted connections be handled by
    a Group Policy that works with the Security Options?

    moncho

    Some Advice to n00bs at .NET!
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...6d-f998ffc56b0d/some-advice-to-n00bs-at-.aspx

    Greg Muszynski, Nov 10, 2009