How to troubleshoot intermittent connections.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Mar 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Often when I turn on my laptop, my wireless connection is disconnected. It
    is visible when I "View available networks" but it will not connect. When it
    gets like this I have to turn off and back on my router.

    - I'm using Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP2 and a NetGearWGR614v4 Wireless
    Router.
    - I have updated the firmware on the router.
    - I have confirmed my drivers are the latest
    - I have applied all Windows updates and service patches.
    - I tried attaching it directly to the wired port on the router and it
    immediately has a connection, so the problem is not likely with my cable
    modem.
    - It works most of the time so, it must be configured correctly.
    - It is only 20' from the base station and I have a strong signal (even when
    "disconected.)
    - The only configuration changes I made to the router are:
    SSID, password, DHCP range, enabled MAC filtering and enabled 802.11(b) only.

    How can I troubleshoot this?

    Carlyle

    Guest, Mar 26, 2005

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Its look like a security item.
    I have the same before with the wpa security.
    I have change it in wep and the conecction stay`s

    Guest, Mar 27, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am not using WPA security since I am not concerned with people snooping my
    traffic. I am only using MAC address filtering.

    Carlyle

    Guest, Mar 28, 2005