    From/To Win XP Pro w/SP2

    TIA

    Neill

    Wayfarer, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Wayfarer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | I'm buying a new computer and I really don't want to have to go
    | through the painful ordeal of reinstalling software and
    | transferring data files. Are there easy ways of transferring
    | applications and data from one computer to another and, if so,
    | what are some of those ways? I've got a burner, if that helps.
    |
    | Free would be nice... ;-)
    |
    | From/To Win XP Pro w/SP2

    Applications, no. You will have to re-install them Data, settings, yes. Hook
    the two computers together via the NICs (crossover cable) and run the File
    and Settings transfer wizard built in to XP.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Wayfarer

    PC Guest

    Sorry wayfarer no simple 'one button does all'.

    Applications in general have to be installed to allow settings/files to be
    written to the right places.
    To be fair there are some apps that confine themselves to one folder, but in
    these cases the original install file is probably easier to handle anyway.

    Your data can of course just be copied, others have suggested the file and
    settings wizard in XP.
    But then just doing a 'restore' from your backup(s) on the new machine will
    do that.

    Of course you do back up your data don't you! (My Documents, Address Book,
    emails, bank data ........)

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 29, 2005