    which has both a USB 2.0 orFirewire connection, and a digital camera
    that is USB 2.0 compatible.

    Thanks ...

    Walden, Feb 6, 2007

  2. If someone does, and you're not getting what the connection(s) are rated,
    then what? Take it back and exchange it?

    Just get a ~100 MB sigle file on your HDD, hook up the external drive by USB
    first and then Firewire next and time the transfers by copying the file over.
    It's all P&P, so you'll see in a few moments.

    Those speeds depend on *so* many variables... your FSB; your processor; the
    type of file... on and on. The speed difference between USB 2.0 and
    firewire is likely to be very negligible in actual application - no matter
    what the quoted "rating" is.

    --

    "I don't care whose pussy you lick
    as long as you vote for tax relief

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Rove

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 6, 2007

  3. Walden

    Walden Guest

    Don't really want to be argumentative, but have you ever heard of the
    term "benchmarking"?

    To follow your first statment to its logical conclusion, why would we
    have to test *anything*? And to answer that question I wolud have to
    partially quote you again, "Take it back ..." but would have to add
    to that , "buy a different one from another vendor."

    In looking at the subject on the Web, I've found many references to
    numbers like 378.5 Mb/sec, and find it hard to believe that they were
    derived using a test file and a stopwatch.

    Walden, Feb 6, 2007

  4. "Benchmarking" an external combo HDD and a "digital camera that is USB 2.0
    compatible"? I've heard the term "blithering idiot" and now I've seen a
    really good example.

    But, it looks like you know more about it than I do - probably more than
    anybody else too. In order to be "argumentative", you really should have
    an argument. But, I suppose you could argue that if you wanted to...

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 6, 2007
  5. Walden

    Pennywise Guest

    Ah, your looking for a program.

    Google: benchmark PCI USB/Firewire adapter card

    http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdiag.html mayhaps

    Pennywise, Feb 7, 2007
  6. Walden

    Walden Guest

    Yes ... thank you! Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I'm on my way
    to the link you provided right now.

    Walden, Feb 7, 2007