    What practical ways can this important message of the server needing to be
    isolated be conveyed?

    Thanks for helping me learn how to teach this topic

    Brian, Jul 11, 2006

  2. Brian

    Noel Paton Guest

    Try putting it in cash terms

    - point out that the PC is now worth upwards of $20K...does he really want
    people playing games on it?

    - does he want to spend another $3K every time the server goes down? - which
    is likely to be every day???

    How much is your data worth? - is it on RAID 5 or better? if not, you WILL
    lose data when the system crashes - and the more thrashing it gets because
    of local access, the more likely it is to crash.

    Servers are a whole different ballgame to clients - maintenance costs are
    10x higher, so you need to minimise maintenance.... prime way to do that is
    that you only allow remote client access except for pure Admin tasks

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jul 11, 2006

  3. Brian

    Gordon Guest

    Convert to a Linux server with no gui. That'll stump him.

    Gordon, Jul 11, 2006
  4. Brian

    Brian Guest

    The new software doesn't run on linux. Required windows server.

    Great idea, though!

    Brian, Jul 11, 2006
  5. Brian

    JANA Guest

    Let him crash it in a way where it will cost him a lot of money to get it
    back up and running!

    --

    JANA
    _____

    You may have been following the prior posts regarding the $9,000 software
    I've been bestowed upon to get working because it was purchased without
    knowing how it ran and that we didn't have the services to run it.

    A student computer has been converted to a server and things are going
    great. The boss wants to maintain the same computer, now a server, as a
    basic use computer, ie www/email. In reality, its only a computer student
    help use to, in addition to www/email, play games (flash, intense download
    games), download torrents, etc.

    How can the fact be instilled in the boss's mind that this is a server and
    needs to be isolated, ie NO use by anyone for any purpose? He doesn't fully
    understand computers and equipment, and I am not the best teacher/explainer.

    JANA, Jul 11, 2006
  6. Brian

    Leythos Guest

    I agree with another poster, if he's set on allowing someone to use the
    server as a workstation, then just let it happen and when it crashes
    he'll learn.

    Leythos, Jul 11, 2006
  7. Brian

    Whiskers Guest

    Take away the monitor and keyboard attached to the server. The
    administrator should be able to access the machine for maintenance by using
    telnet or (better) SSH over the network.

    Whiskers, Jul 11, 2006