    Nor with hand grenades, one of my fav. expressions being:
    "Close doesn't count except in horseshoes (the game, in which I have
    some direct experience) and hand grenades."

    John McWilliams, Jul 7, 2010

  2. It doesn't apply to those P&S cameras which are the size of DSLRs :)

    Chris Malcolm, Jul 7, 2010

  3. RichA

    Guest Guest

    that's a bit of a stretch since you're talking a few pixels difference.
    he said a friend of his kept overshooting the zoom and had to help him
    set the camera to *slow* zoom speed to not do that.
    exactly. now watch him point out the advantages of fly by wire.
    they're close enough to be able to assess its capabilities, and his
    insistence that you don't own the exact model is just an excuse.

    Guest, Jul 7, 2010
  4. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Can you not point and shoot with a p&s camera?

    tony cooper, Jul 7, 2010
  5. RichA

    Guest Guest

    you missed his point.
    except for your friend who had problems with it.
    it's not directly coupled.
    you don't use cruise control in stop and go city traffic. why do you
    insist on lying?
    nonsense. the lens is smaller and lighter because the image circle is
    smaller. there were slr zooms that were motorized and they were bigger,
    slower and clunkier. the market rejected them (pentax and i think canon
    had them).

    Guest, Jul 7, 2010
  6. RichA

    krishnananda Guest

    You get paid, you're a pro. You don't get paid, you're either an amateur
    or an unemployed pro:

    Jacobus Franciscus "Jim" Thorpe was a Native American athlete.
    Considered one of the most versatile athletes in modern sports, he won
    Olympic gold medals in the 1912 pentathlon and decathlon, played
    American football at the collegiate and professional levels, and also
    played professional baseball and basketball. He lost his Olympic titles
    after it was found he was paid for playing two seasons of
    semi-professional baseball before competing in the Olympics, thus
    violating the amateur status rules.

    krishnananda, Jul 7, 2010
  7. RichA

    SMS Guest

    Kudos to Canon for doing that. Reducing the pixel density between the
    G10 and G11 was a brave thing to do.
    The problem is the target market usually lacks the experience to
    understand just what they're giving up with a super zoom compared to a
    D-SLR. They see the wide zoom range and the high pixel count and get
    excited, but they often don't realize that it doesn't fix the problems
    they've encountered with their compact point and shoot, and they don't
    understand just how big of a compromise that wide range lens actually
    is. Then they end up buying hopelessly junky lens adapters to try and
    address some of the limitations of the super-zoom.
    That seems to be the case because the experienced photographer is not
    going to give up all the advantages of a D-SLR for only a slightly
    smaller package. They will likely have a compact P&S for the times when
    their D-SLR is too much trouble to take along.

    The failure of Olympus's 4:3 product line might have been avoided if
    Olympus had marketed it as an alternative to the limitations of super
    zoom P&S models, rather than trying to compete directly against the
    Canon and Nikon D-SLR lines; but probably not.

    SMS, Jul 7, 2010
  8. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Listening to an entire speech given by Joe Biden would be the
    equivalent of being sentenced to one of those country club prisons
    where the wealthy and politically connected spend their days getting
    massages and tennis lessons compared to having to read John Navas's
    perpetual whining posts.

    tony cooper, Jul 8, 2010
  9. RichA

    Peter Guest

    I would rather do that than be forced to read the tripe from the sock
    puppets.

    Peter, Jul 8, 2010
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    he is making excuses for a workaround of a shortcoming.

    when others do the same, he criticizes them.
    that too. i was thinking of stop and go driving, especially in a car
    with manual transmission.

    Guest, Jul 8, 2010
  11. RichA

    NameHere Guest

    What a funny comment. Coming from those with 95%-97% framing accuracy in
    their DSLRs even without a zoom lens.

    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

    NameHere, Jul 8, 2010
  12. RichA

    Russ D Guest

    Take for example a programmable zoom lens, as exist in all CHDK compatible
    cameras. Should you ever have the need to EXACTLY and PRECISELY duplicate
    both zoom and focus settings for extended timelapse projects, macro or
    otherwise, or stop-motion animation sequences, there's absolutely no way
    you can duplicate them with any manually focused and manually zoomed lens.
    Some people are not so constricted in their thinking and photographic
    creativity and require a programmable zoom lens. It also works just as well
    on all other less demanding projects too.

    Russ D, Jul 8, 2010
  13. How would you know? When you've NEVER used ANY camera in your lifetime?

    Outing Trolls is FUN!, Jul 8, 2010
  14. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    In our cars, foot on the gas while on cruise control speeds up the
    car, and the car goes back to the set speed when the foot is removed.
    To go slower, there's a button for (I think it's labeled) "coast".
    Release that and the car resumes the set speed. However, I usually
    tap the brake to slow and then re-set.

    I wouldn't comment on John's car. Obviously, unless one has driven
    John's make, model, and his personal car, one shouldn't.

    tony cooper, Jul 8, 2010
  15. RichA

    Ben Dover Guest

    Obviously, since you are comparing your own limited skills with your own
    devices YOU shouldn't be comparing your limitations with anyone else's
    expertise.

    Ben Dover, Jul 8, 2010
  16. You don't have much skills with cameras, do you. More than obvious from
    this comment of yours.

    Outing Trolls is FUN!, Jul 8, 2010
  17. RichA

    Guest Guest

    your standards are lower.
    as *you* ought to know, all modern lenses are complex and
    sophisticated, not just panasonic.

    Guest, Jul 8, 2010
  18. How would you know this about anyone nor any camera? You've never used ANY
    camera. We've proved that.

    Outing Trolls is FUN!, Jul 8, 2010
  19. There are many terms in both British and American English which I don't
    feel are 100% accurate, but they are in such common usage that it would be
    difficult to change them. The term ZLR was used for a while for SLR-like
    cameras without a mirror - cameras like my FZ5 and FZ20, John's FZ28, and
    your FZ35 - but that term didn't stick.

    What term would you suggest for such cameras - they certainly aren't
    "compact".

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 8, 2010
  20. []
    What DSLR could be described as unprofessional?

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 8, 2010