    run over a sharp rock and can't patch it, you're stranded again!

    Just because you're too feeble and set in your ways to learn and adapt to
    new methods doesn't mean that the new ways are the problem.

    Ghetta Klew, Jul 5, 2010

  2. <more deranged imaginings from a pretend-photographer troll successfully
    snipped>

    Outing Trolls is FUN!, Jul 5, 2010

  3. RichA

    SMS Guest

    On 05/07/10 1:18 PM, Neil Harrington wrote:

    It's not "unfortunate" it's what some marketing manager at Olympus
    believed would be the best in terms of generating sales. They a) don't
    want to scare off buyers that previously owned a non-ultra zoom, and b)
    don't want buyers that are expecting the functionality and performance
    of a D-SLR to mistakenly believe that the ultra-zooms are a D-SLR
    replacement.
    Perhaps, but the goal here is to sell more cameras. There is a belief by
    many consumers that D-SLRs are too complicated (even though of course it
    can be set for automatic everything if desired).

    SMS, Jul 5, 2010
  4. RichA

    Pete Guest

    Then answer my originally respectful question: what is the correct
    terminology? Telling me more of what is pejorative and inappropriate is
    only jarring me off. So, being jarred off: the term "DSLR" *is*
    pejorative and inappropriate for the users of full-frame DSLRs cameras
    today, more than my opinion: it is on technically delineated principles.

    This is absolute stupidity. It's like two owners of a Ford Focus
    automobile arguing in a pub: mine has a 1.6 engine, yours only has a
    1.4 therefore it's pejorative and inappropriate for you to call yours a
    Ford Focus, you must find a more appropriate name for it.

    The only thing that makes all this sensible is that the manufacturers
    are having the last laugh.

    Pete, Jul 5, 2010
  5. They only seem too complicated to you. You can't even start to understand
    CHDK P&S cameras let alone something far simpler like a DSLR.

    Outing Trolls is FUN!, Jul 5, 2010
  6. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Jul 5, 2010
  7. RichA

    Peter Guest

    I go with you on that. I wonder if the attacks on DSLR owners are a form of
    penis envy.

    Peter, Jul 5, 2010
  8. RichA

    LOL! Guest

    You do realize that you are agreeing with a role-playing troll that doesn't
    even own a camera and has never even used one, don't you?

    Again, proving the depths of your intellect. The image destroying haze
    condensed on a DSLR's mirror is deeper than your intellect.

    LOL!

    LOL!, Jul 6, 2010
  9. RichA

    Peter Guest

    I own an 8800, which I have always referred to as a P&S. Yes, it does have a
    lot of controls. I converted it to infra red and still use it.

    This whole conversation is ridiculous.

    Peter, Jul 6, 2010
  10. RichA

    Pete Guest

    For a similar reason that you choose to delineate between compact and
    ultra compact.
    Yes, we are talking about small difference that don't actually matter.
    Small is relative and subjective.

    If I was an expert in dishwashers I would probably get very upset with
    anyone saying "dishwasher tablets" because I would know the differences
    between all the powders, tablets, and liquids: lumping them all
    together in one category could be taken as disrespecting my expertise.
    I would not get upset by anyone talking about "washing up liquid"
    because I would accept it as a generic term for something a little way
    outside my field of knowledge. If you have a dishwasher then you have a
    choice of what: powder, tablets, and liquid? If you wash dishes
    manually then you still have a choice of products. What fuel do you put
    in your automobile? I guess petrol or diesel. Talk to an industrial
    chemist for a day and we would quickly feel an idiot by not being able
    to sub-categorize fuel further.

    I can think of many more illustrations of the difference between macro
    and micro. The most obvious is the question "Is is animal, mineral, or
    vegetable?" A knowledgeable person could be pedantic and say "That is
    pejorative." and how would many of us accurately respond? Another
    example: "Today has been a mixture of sunshine and thick cloud" the
    response could be "Thick cloud is a pejorative."

    Every reply everyone has ever given can be twisted into a pejorative. I
    think it's called, amongst other things, "Having a negative outlook" or
    as John Navas sometimes asks "Do you feel threatened?". Answer to John
    Navas: "Not at all. Pondering the reason for the question is, however,
    stimulating."

    At the end of the day, these debates result from nothing more than a
    lack of understanding of domain theory. Each of us needs to defend our
    realm otherwise our spices will become extinct. Ok, so that would solve
    the global warming issue...

    Back to my original questions: how will you sub-divide DSLRs such that
    you do not offend me and how should I categorize non-DSLRs such that I
    never offend anyone else?

    Pete, Jul 6, 2010
  11. RichA

    SMS Guest

    You don't have to wonder, it's a certainty.

    We've seen it often. A newbie compares a super-zoom to a D-SLR and
    concludes, based on zoom range, megapixels, LCD size, and cost that the
    super-zoom is just a slam dunk. The problem is that they understand
    nothing about focusing, distortion, noise, or lighting and are
    understandably disappointed when the super-zoom does not live up to
    their expectations. Under these circumstances most people would say, "oh
    geez, I made a mistake" but our favorite trolls are too stubborn to
    admit that so instead they do what they do.

    SMS, Jul 6, 2010
  12. RichA

    Pete Guest

    Apologies for perpetuating it, hindsight is something I'm still finding
    difficult to predict :)

    Pete, Jul 6, 2010
  13. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Why should anyone care what they call any camera?
    What is important is how they function for me.

    Peter, Jul 6, 2010
  14. RichA

    Pete Guest

    Dang, when am I gonna learn to write succinctly?

    Pete, Jul 6, 2010
  15. RichA

    Pete Guest

    Frequently, but not exclusively.

    Pete, Jul 6, 2010
  16. RichA

    Die Wahrheit Guest

    The amateur just does it more often. The fool, all the time. The true Pro
    only when it really matters to the art of photography. Their joy now being
    100-fold that of the amateur or fool. Greater views for greater enjoyment
    require more challenging climbs.

    Die Wahrheit, Jul 6, 2010
  17. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    The true pro doesn't give a hoot in Hell about art, he's in it for the
    money.

    J. Clarke, Jul 6, 2010
  18. There's only one person who objects to "P&S" - the rest of us are quite
    happy! I own both and have no problem with the term.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 6, 2010
  19. RichA

    Die Wahrheit Guest

    The pro that lets the whims of those with money define his art is no pro.

    Die Wahrheit, Jul 6, 2010
  20. RichA

    Guest Guest

    who cares what it's called. people know what is meant by p&s and slr
    and that's all that matters. language evolves. the whole pejorative
    nonsense is his way of arguing, particularly when his position is weak.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2010