  1. Are you SO ignorant to have to even ask?

    Any in the hand of a non-pro.

    This amounts to 99.99% of them.

    Outing Trolls is FUN!, Jul 8, 2010

  2. RichA

    Guest Guest

    sigma sd14 :)

    Guest, Jul 8, 2010

  3. Not "compact" by my standards - they don't fit into a coat or jacket
    pocket. Your standards of "compact" obviously differ.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 8, 2010
  4. RichA

    SMS Guest

    Here's what I've used for size designations:

    * Professional SLR with integrated vertical grip (around 2000cc without
    lens)
    * Medium SLR: Canon 20D, Nikon D70s, etc. [1000 cc-1500 cc, without lens]
    * Small SLR: Canon EOS-Rebel T2i, Olympus E-620, etc. [<1000 cc without
    lens]
    * Superzoom: Canon SX20 IS, etc
    * Compact: Canon G11 series, etc. [>300 cc]
    * Sub-Compact: Canon S90, Canon A series, etc. [175-300 cc]
    * Ultra-Compact: Coolpix S8000, etc. [125-175 cc & >25mm thick]
    * Thin Ultra-Compact: Canon SD1300, etc. [<125 cc & 20-25 mm thick]
    * Ultra-Thin, Ultra-Compact: Casio EX-S10, etc. [<20 mm thick and <125 cc]

    SMS, Jul 8, 2010
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    John Navas's problem is, and always has been, that his modest needs
    are completely satisfied by mediocre equipment.

    He simply cannot understand why some people need, or at least aspire
    to, something better. He gets irrationally angry when they point this
    out, then claims that his mediocre equipment is "excellent".

    He has been doing it for years. No doubt he will be doing it many
    years hence. Arguing with him is pointless because his values are on
    an entirely different scale, one that peaks at "mediocre".

    Bruce, Jul 8, 2010
  6. RichA

    SMS Guest

    Nothing wrong with that actually, he's no different than most users of
    digital camera equipment.
    Unfortunately his attitude extends to many other areas outside of
    digital camera equipment as well. It would be one thing if anything he
    wrote was grounded in reality and backed up by facts, but it rarely
    isn't. Instead he feels compelled to reply to every post that points out
    the facts, even when he has absolutely no knowledge of the subject being
    discussed. The most amusing thing is when he posts references that
    completely contradict what he's saying.
    Indeed, that's why a kill-file is the best solution. He thrives on the
    attention he gets with his shtick.

    SMS, Jul 8, 2010
  7. []
    Superzoom and compact are terms I would quite happily use, while retaining
    the generic term P&S to cover both. Ultra-compact seems clumsy (to me) -
    what about pocket camera?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 8, 2010
  8. RichA

    SMS Guest

    Oops. Well you know what was intended to be written!

    SMS, Jul 8, 2010
  9. My shooting waistcoat has two big pockets each one of which can easily
    take a medium sized DSLR fitted with a 500mm reflex lens.

    Chris Malcolm, Jul 8, 2010
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    anything that contradicts him is a put-down. haven't you noticed?
    very much so.

    Guest, Jul 8, 2010
  11. RichA

    Guest Guest

    to an extent that's true, but the fundamental problem is that he thinks
    whatever he picks is perfect and everything else is flawed, whether or
    not the user has different needs.

    he also insists his camera violates the laws of physics to justify his
    choice (small sensors are better than big sensors). whenever anyone
    points out any shortcoming (which all products have), he says the
    person is insecure for making pejorative remarks. of course, *he* can
    be rude and condescending, such as telling people they don't know how
    to use zoom properly.
    true. as he says, different strokes for different folks.
    yep.

    Guest, Jul 8, 2010
  12. RichA

    Guest Guest

    so why do you keep bashing people? language evolves. p&s doesn't mean
    what you want it to mean. deal with it.

    Guest, Jul 8, 2010
  13. RichA

    Guest Guest

    you must feel threatened!

    Guest, Jul 9, 2010
  14. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it's obvious he does.

    Guest, Jul 9, 2010
  15. RichA

    Peter Guest

    IMHO that was a really nice capture.

    One of the best horse racing shots I've seen was captured by a P&S.
    If your camera does what you want, by all means use it. There is no reason
    for you to change. However, that doesn't mean your camera would work for
    others. There is also no reason to accuse anyone who finds your camera
    inadaquate for their needs, of having a lack of artistic ability. I have
    consistently maintained that one can get great shots with less expensive
    equipment. However, if my own style requires either lower noise at higher
    ISO and/or the ability to work well with super low ISO, that doesn't make
    your camera bad. Just mechanically unsuitable for what I like to do.

    Peter, Jul 9, 2010
  16. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Interesting that Bruce mentions that.

    Peter, Jul 9, 2010
  17. RichA

    Better Info Guest

    1re•flex \"re-'fleks\ noun [L reflexus, pp. of reflectere to reflect]
    (1508)
    ** 1 a : reflected heat, light, or color
    *** b : a mirrored image
    ** c : a copy exact in essential or peculiar features
    ** 2 a : an automatic and often inborn response to a stimulus that
    involves a nerve impulse passing inward from a receptor to a nerve center
    and thence outward to an effector (as a muscle or gland) without reaching
    the level of consciousness — compare habit
    ** b : the process that culminates in a reflex and comprises reception,
    transmission, and reaction — called also reflex action
    ** c pl : the power of acting or responding with adequate speed
    d : a way of thinking or behaving
    3 : a linguistic element (as a word or sound) or system (as writing)
    that is derived from a prior and esp. an older element or system <boat is
    the reflex of Old English bat>

    2reflex adjective [L reflexus] (1649)
    1 : directed back on the mind or its operations : introspective
    ** 2 : bent, turned, or directed back : reflected <a stem with reflex
    leaves>
    ** 3 : produced or carried out in reaction, resistance, or return
    4 of an angle : being between 180° and 360°
    ** 5 : of, relating to, or produced by a reflex without intervention of
    consciousness
    re•flex•ly adverb

    (C)1996 Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. All
    rights reserved.

    ** = applies to a sensor signal reflexed to an LCD or EVF display

    Better Info, Jul 9, 2010
  18. Google 500mm reflex lens. These catadioptric mirror designs are very
    much smaller and lighter than the usual refractor lenses. But they're
    fixed aperture, and except for the Minolta/Sony model, manual
    focus. But being pocketable and light means you can easily carry one
    around just in case and easily use it hand held (with appropriately
    high shutter speeds).

    (Except that manually focusing a hand held 500mm is never going to be
    easy :)

    Chris Malcolm, Jul 9, 2010
  19.
    Chris Malcolm, Jul 9, 2010
  20. []
    Take Amazon - they have a category:

    Electronics & Photo, Photography, Digital Cameras, Point & Shoot Digital
    Cameras

    where the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38EB-K Digital Camera is listed.

    David J Taylor, Jul 9, 2010