    G.K. Konnig Guest

    There is one tomorrow and I must take some photos.

    How?

    G.K. Konnig, Sep 13, 2004

  2. G.K. Konnig

    Hunt Guest

    Big honking telescope, with tracking head.
    Clear night sky - no ambient light.
    Patience.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Sep 13, 2004

  3. G.K. Konnig

    Jim Townsend Guest

    If you have access to the Hubble space telescope, it
    should be a snap. If you're using a $50 pocket digicam,
    then you probably won't have much luck.

    If your equipment lies between the above, then
    your mileage may vary.

    Most importantly, when photographing an exploding supernova,
    you have to make sure you don't get too close. Stay
    at least 100,000 light years away.

    Here's a link somebody put together showing what he used,
    how he did it and the settings.

    http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mclark/sn87a.htm

    Also try news:sci.astro.amateur

    Jim Townsend, Sep 13, 2004
  4. Where??? The first thing most astronomers know about
    supernovas is after the event!

    Mr. M.J. Lush, Sep 13, 2004
  5. G.K. Konnig

    Martin Brown Guest

    More to the point how do you know there will be a supernova tomorrow?

    The final implosion of a massive dying star is not something we have
    ever been able to predict. When one occurs the resulting explosion makes
    the star outshine the galaxy that it sits in for a few weeks.

    Perhaps you meant something else?

    First thing to try is constellation photography with a standard lens and
    exposures in the range 30s to 2 minutes. Preferably on a fast film with
    low reciprocity failure.

    Regards,

    Martin Brown, Sep 13, 2004
  6. First advice -- don't get too close.

    Second advice -- if you can actually predict in advance when a
    supernova will occur, *publish* and look for your Nobel prize.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 13, 2004
  7. G.K. Konnig

    John Doe Guest

    Do this things put up a sign?

    I am exploding tomorrow, please have your cameras ready.

    Thanks,
    Nova

    8^)

    John Doe, Sep 13, 2004
  8. G.K. Konnig

    Böwzér Guest

    I had a Chevy Nova once. It wasn't super at all, though.

    Böwzér, Sep 13, 2004
  9. G.K. Konnig

    HooDooWitch Guest

    (G.K. Konnig) somehow managed to post:
    If you're a long way from home, it's a pushover, because shooting
    stars never stop, even when they reach the top.

    Welcome ...

    HooDooWitch, Sep 13, 2004
  10. G.K. Konnig

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Indeed! Such prior knowledge should be shared. Gee -- hope its not too
    close :)

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 13, 2004
  11. How about 6 light minutes away?

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Sep 13, 2004
  12. I have forgotten the facts...but that is the star named Sol...right? When
    that one goes Super you should have your camera on already, manual focus and
    set the speed to fastest (slow ISO as there will be plenty of light)
    aperture small (same reasoning). You want to be all set up as the time you
    have to take the shot exceeds the lag time of most cameras.

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 13, 2004
  13. G.K. Konnig

    Prometheus Guest

    That makes it about 10^11 metres away which is closer than our Sun (150
    x 10^9m), where is this hitherto unknown star? Just a few observations,
    the photon flux will fry you, the particle storm will rip apart anything
    left. But if you have the ability to know a day before when there are no
    signs then you probably have the ability to escape with your photograph,
    and don't need our advice anyway.

    Prometheus, Sep 13, 2004
  14. G.K. Konnig

    clw Guest

    Just go to the Space Telescope web site and down load what you want.
    Much better shots, good resolution etc. And you do not have to wait for
    millions of years perhaps. Also, even if it does occur, it might be
    only visible in daylight from where you live...real bummer!

    clw, Sep 14, 2004
  15. G.K. Konnig

    Bill Bannon Guest

    If the supernova is happening tomorrow then you should have plenty of time
    to relax, shop for a new camera and telescope, raise your children, etc. It
    will take a while for the light of it to get here.

    Bill Bannon, Sep 14, 2004
  16. G.K. Konnig

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Love it!

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 14, 2004
  17. G.K. Konnig

    Scott Guest

    Simplicity itself.

    First, find a star about to explode. If one isn't handy, use your handy
    PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator. That should work nicely.

    Second, take your camera to the viewscreen/porthole of the spaceship
    you are on. Wait for the star to explode. Take picture.

    Third, engage warp drive to outrun the explosion.
    (Note: be SURE to time steps two and three properly.)

    Scott, Sep 14, 2004
  18. G.K. Konnig

    Apteryx Guest

    Some of the OP's trolls on other groups I have visited today have been
    much less subtle (eg, on alt.fan.tolkien, "Middle Earth is full of drug
    abusers", and on alt.tv.buffy.v.slayer "Buffy is for lamers and
    communists only").

    This one's not too bad.

    Apteryx, Sep 14, 2004
  19. G.K. Konnig

    Mark M Guest

    How?
    Plan more than one day in advance, of course!
    :)

    Mark M, Sep 14, 2004
  20. G.K,

    There are actually many currently active SN.................

    http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/lists/RecentSupernovae.html

    You will need a relitively large aperture telescope with a very solid
    tracking mount like this....

    http://home.earthlink.net/~psjustis/telescope.htm

    And then you can find a relitively bright SN in a distant galaxy and get an
    image like this...

    http://home.earthlink.net/~psjustis/ngc3877sn.htm

    (I used a specially treated B&W film for this image, but there are much
    better digital CCD imaging
    cameras available)

    Scott

    Preston Justis, Sep 14, 2004