How to Take Better Night Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gary.hendricks.user, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. gary.hendricks.user

    Kernix Guest

    I've done night shots of the Hal Bop comet and got good exposures at
    approx 1 minute. Have done the bulb thing while trying to get 4th of
    July shots but no good results - you need a quality subject in the
    foreground or background to make it work. Done some long exposures at
    late dusk of a waterfall - over a minute - got the classic blue shift.

    I know some people who would wait for a full moon, shoot an entire roll
    of the moon in a corner witha telephoto, rewind and shoot different
    scenes later to get a cool double ex thing going on.

    I actaully got some good results doing double and triple exposures at
    night. The 1st thing I did was shoot xmas lights with combinations of:
    1 shot in focus, 1 shot slightly out of focus, 1 shot with camera
    shake, 1 shot zooming, etc. Usually always with an in focus shot as the
    base.

    I've done the same thing with scenic city scapes at night - different
    combos of the above.

    Jim

    Kernix, Jan 12, 2006

  2. gary.hendricks.user

    Chuck Guest

    There are some problems with night shots that differ a bit between film and
    digital cameras.

    The digital sensors are subject to a random noise that can increase
    drastically with exposure time, and sensitivity settings (ISO emulation)
    The film camera also has problems, but the "noise" is really more a film
    grain/processing issue.
    Color fringing may occur quite differently between film and digital cameras
    on very bright objects.
    Digital camera Auto Focus may not work properly at low light levels, and the
    LCD viewfinder may not be bright enough to obtain a decent manual focus.

    Chuck, Jan 13, 2006

  3. gary.hendricks.user

    Sander Vesik Guest

    Wouldn't pictures taken at a campfire, where your facing does affect
    the tempreture, even if the fire is not in the shot, be a counterexample?
    That is, if you want to make a "dummies guide", its way easier to say
    "exactly same scene" and not bother about listing some of the exceptions
    where more or less teh same scene makes a difference vs where it doesn't?

    Sander Vesik, Jan 13, 2006
  4. gary.hendricks.user

    Bill Funk Guest

    I doubt it, unless you had the camera near enough long enough to be
    'heat soaked' by the radiated heat. It really takes time for things to
    heat/cool to the ambient temp.
    Plus, if your camera has a serious problem with hot or stuck pixels,
    such that the exact temp needs to be achieved for the dark frame,
    maybe a replacement is in order, rather than an attempt to change the
    rules.

    Bill Funk, Jan 13, 2006