How to stop strange IE6 popups? (including on about:blank pages)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by laminate, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. laminate

    laminate Guest

    Last week I stupidly installed software that promised free MP3
    downloads, but that of course was a piece of browser-hijacking,
    spyware-laden junk. I no longer remember much, but the installer was
    called "mp3.plugin.exe" and can be downloaded from
    http://www.negativebeats.com/plugin/ for those crazy enough to want to
    experiment for themselves.

    Using Ad-aware and hijackthis, I was able to get my computer back to
    how it should be. However, ever since I had that experience, Internet
    Explorer 6.0 fires off a popup ad at startup (my startup page is a
    blank page) and at other times that I'm connecting to sites that I
    *know* are popup-free.

    How can I correct this?

    Technical information:

    - Windows 98 operating system
    - IE 6.0 browser. This is actually my secondary browser; I use
    Netscape 7.1 as my primary browser and it appears to be 100% okay.
    - My IE browser uses no pop-up stoppers or add-on toolbars. As such,
    I *do* expect it to get pop-ups sometime from known popup sites. But
    certainly not from a blank page, and certainly not from sites that,
    when visited from other computers, do not generate pop-ups, ever.
    - The sites in my IE browser history that I didn't go to of my own
    accord include:
    *** ads.peel.com
    *** www.lop.com - flagged by spybot

    As I was typing this, I ran the Spybot software on my computer, and it
    found lop.com instances, describing them in a way that matched what I
    was experiencing. So I *think* that Spybot fixed my problem - I've
    had no unexpected IE popups since running it. But please, I'd welcome
    comments from others.

    laminate, Dec 29, 2003

  2. laminate

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Dec 29, 2003

  3. laminate

    Mike Burgess Guest

    laminate,
    That "plugin" is definately infected!
    AVG reports it as "Downloader.Small" .........
    So that tells me you are not running any AV program? .......
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/security.htm

    Make *sure* you update SpyBot before each scan!
    If your still having troubles post your problem to their Support Forum.
    Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
    Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 12-26-03]
    Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid

    Mike Burgess, Dec 29, 2003
  4. laminate

    °Mike° Guest

    <Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>

    It's *not* a virus. It's a pornware downloader.

    °Mike°, Dec 29, 2003