    And this goes back on topic: Like the countryside code and gates, you
    should always assume something that is open has been left open
    deliberately. Assume sensibleness not stupidity.

    Andrew Oakley, Jul 27, 2005

  2. If the gate is tied/wedged open, then it's fairly obvious that the gate is
    intentionally left open. But what if it's ajar? Has it been left open (or
    failed to latch properly) after the previous person went through or has it
    blown shut after being deliberately left open? Difficult one!

    I'm still unsure about the legality of assuming that *any* wireless network
    that has no WEP/WPA encryption is free for me to use.

    Leaving my front door open when I go out is not an invitation for anyone to
    cross the threshold and have a good rummage around, even if they don't
    actually steal anything.

    However in both these cases, if I intended things to be private, I'd encrypt
    the signal or lock the door to make certain that no-one strayed in.

    I think the problem with the OP's question was his use of the word "steal" -
    that implies that he's up to no good and that he knows it.

    As a matter of interest, having never used a public hotspot, are these
    usually unencrypted, or are they encrypted with a password which the
    operator will supply on request?

    Martin Underwood, Jul 27, 2005

  3. roger

    Nick Guest

    Butting in here, why is it that so many people are so eager to tell others what's right and wrong?

    None of us, not a single one, lives our lives perfectly and I don't think any of us wouldn welcome
    having our failings pointed out.

    IMHO, rather than jumping on this guy with piety set to "kill", perhaps these holy-joes should just
    have kept stumm? I find the hypocrisy of it all quite nauseating.

    Nick, Jul 27, 2005
  4. I don't see any problem in pointing out to someone that what they want to do
    may be illegal, especially given the OP's use of the word "steal" in the
    subject line. His question opened up a wider debate about whether an
    unencrypted wireless connection can be *assumed* to be a hotspot that anyone
    is encouraged to use, as opposed to a private network that has
    unintentionally been left insecure. In debating this, hopefully people who
    have unintentionally insecure networks may be encouraged to tighten up their
    security.

    Martin Underwood, Jul 27, 2005
  5. That's cool! Is it possible to also use the software to put a "Welcome
    - please come in!" sign too? IE. to assure visitors that this is a
    deliberately open network and that they are welcome to use it.

    I could have really found that helpful recently, as per this thread:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk...read/thread/f9f11432a271f004/648c38c9e834fb9e

    Andrew Oakley, Jul 27, 2005
  6. (I've set Followup-To as uk.people.rural )

    Just to confirm: The Countryside Code clearly states that you should:

    "Leave gates and property as you find them"

    So if you find a gate ajar, leave it ajar. If you find it half open,
    leave it half open. If you find it pushed to but not latched, leave it
    pushed to but not latched. If you find it latched but not bolted,
    leave it latched but not bolted. Etc. There is no difficult decision
    to make; "Leave gates and property as you find them".

    You can read the entire Countryside Code here:
    http://www.countryside.gov.uk/WhoWeAreAndWhatWeDo/newcode.asp

    You can also read more detail about the "Gates and Property" point of
    Countryside Code here:
    http://www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk/countryside_code/point_2.php

    You can also see which bodies have agreed on the Countryside Code
    here:
    http://www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk/countryside_code/background.php

    These bodies include:
    The Ramblers Association
    National Farmers Union
    DEFRA
    National Trust
    Forestry Commission
    Country Land & Business Association
    ....and many more, all of whom were consulted in the summer of 2003.

    It's a very clear and indisputable rule with no grey area and no
    difficulty in interpretation, also approved by the Plain English
    Campaign.

    (I've set Followup-To as uk.people.rural )

    Andrew Oakley, Jul 27, 2005
  7. roger

    Rob Morley Guest

    And if you saw a car being broken into you wouldn't do anything,
    because it's not your car and you don't give a shit ...

    Rob Morley, Jul 27, 2005
  8. roger

    Nick Guest

    I have no problem whatsoever with what you're saying there - it'd be kind to point out that it may
    be illegal if it saves someone getting in trouble.

    But if the guy clearly knows that it is illegal or questionable or whatever then what's the point
    of all jumping in boots'n'all? Just causes a flame war etc, probably mostly OT, where it'd be much
    better to just not reply at all. Besides which, he may just have been trolling...

    The debate part is good though, and, I guess, completely on-topic.

    Nick, Jul 27, 2005
  9. roger

    myWIFIzone Guest

    Yes it is possible - we are thinking of offering this to not-for-profit
    sites (libraries, freespots, etc.) this fall. The welcome page would
    have the site logo and an "Acceptable Usage Policy" to which the end
    user would be required to agree. Thanks for the link to your other
    thread - interesting reading.

    myWIFIzone, Jul 27, 2005
  10. roger

    Nick Guest

    What????????

    Nick, Jul 27, 2005
  11. roger

    Nick Guest

    I'd call the Police because I'd be witnessing a crime being committed (assuming it wasn't the owner
    breaking into his own car because he'd locked the keys in.)

    So have you blown the whistle on our offender then? Reported him to the FBI for talking about
    committing a very minor crime? I'm guessing that you're claiming to care, so you must have already
    done something to prevent this felony.

    My point is simply that a bunch of old women screaming rape every time someone even suggests
    copying a cd or doing 31mph in a 30 limit does nobody any good, and just fills up the group with
    yet more OT whining. Your point was... well, not really relevant, imho.

    Nick, Jul 27, 2005
  12. roger

    poster Guest

    When I saw this the other day, I thought that commonsense would also
    come into play - it would be presumptious of me to alter the situation
    *unless* I could see that there was some danger in the offing, such as
    a gate being unlocked which could allow cattle onto a road or railway
    where I would then feel obliged to do my level best to (a) make safe
    and (b) inform anyone I could find, of my action. Peter M.

    poster, Jul 27, 2005
  13. roger

    Geoff Lane Guest

    The best option is the one whereby a mistake is no major problem.

    If the cattle eat a crop and they shouldn't have there's months of
    work down the drain whereas if they are prevented from eating one they
    were meant to eat they are just a wee bit hungry for a day. I doubt
    they would starve as a farmer wouldn't leave them unattended for days
    anyway.

    Why the hell am I typing about crops and cattle anyway :))

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Jul 27, 2005
  14. the former, they make it as simple as possible (and still half the
    people fail to make it work)

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 27, 2005
  15. roger

    John Guest

    I believe it is check this out.
    news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4721723.stm

    John, Jul 28, 2005