    (not everytime the browser gets opened, but everytime the system boots
    up).

    Thanks for your help.

    wylbur37, Jun 7, 2005

  2. wylbur37

    DL Guest

    Out of interest, why?

    DL, Jun 7, 2005

  3. wylbur37

    wylbur37 Guest

    Because a friend of mine whom I'm trying to assist called me
    and told me that recently the computer would automatically
    dial up to the ISP everytime the computer boots up,
    and wants to have that turned off.
    I haven't yet had a chance to go there and check it out,
    so I'm trying to plan ahead and be prepared.

    Does there have to be a complicated reason? :)

    wylbur37, Jun 7, 2005
  4. wylbur37

    Vanguard Guest

    Configure the dial-up connectoid to NOT connect automatically and have
    it prompt for login credentials. Something is getting loaded that wants
    a network connection and the current setup is allowing it without an
    intervening prompt to the user. Or have them use their firewall logs to
    determine what process is attempting to make a connection and to where.

    Vanguard, Jun 7, 2005
  5. wylbur37

    Bob I Guest

    That is about the most backward way of asking about a problem I have
    ever seen. Try asking:
    "What would cause a PC to dial out whenever it boots up? I need to
    make it stop.

    What you asked for was a method make it dial out on purpose, which it
    exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

    Bob I, Jun 7, 2005
  6. wylbur37

    Gary H Guest

    The computer will dial a connection if you have a program that needs
    internet access starting with Windows.

    If you don't want that, you can remove that program or configure it to
    not dial (many programs use Windows's settings). Also, your firewall
    may be able to block it.

    --
    "Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
    for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose

    Gary H, Jun 7, 2005

  7. Sounds like adware or spyware is dialing up and doing its dirty work.
    Maybe even a trojan. Clean up his machine.

    First configure the dial-up connection applet to require manual entry of
    the password - he's probably got it set to "remember password." That IMO
    is a Dumb Thing To Do, as your friend has just discovered.

    Second install at least two of Ad-Aware, SPysweeper, Spybot, CounterSpy
    etc. Some of this is shareware, or the current most powerful version is
    available for a price (the freeware vesrion will be older.) If your
    friend balks at paying money, remind him gently that his machine is
    vulnerable without these and other protections, and there is a limit to
    how much you can help him if he won't help himself. I used to be nice to
    to people who failed to protect their machines, but now I'm (politely)
    brutal about their irresponsibility. I recommend that modus operandi to
    you and to all who have been co-opted by their friends to fix their
    machines.

    Good luck!

    Wolf Kirchmeir, Jun 7, 2005
  8. wylbur37

    pcbutts1 Guest

    How about if we tell you how to fix it. Download, install, update and run
    all of the following.

    Ad-Aware

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
    it can be analyzed.

    HijackThis

    pcbutts1, Jun 7, 2005
  9. wylbur37

    Gary H Guest

    It did look strange, and I hjad never seem it asked this way before.
    Notice that these 2 things are really 2 sides of the SAME thing, and
    an answer to one will be helpful in solving the other problem.

    Gary H, Jun 7, 2005