    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-4, 13/10/2006
    Tested on: 13/10/2006 15:35:02

    Ian Pollard, Oct 13, 2006

  2. Ian Pollard

    Lez Pawl Guest

    yet another thing to look at in the Printers properties settings on both
    comps is under the Ports tab. Ensure both are set to the USB001 Virtual
    Printer port.

    I know its a pain in the rear but

    My course of action after this might be to uninstall the printer from the
    laptop and the desktop, shut down, restart both.

    Install the driver software that came with the printer or source the latest
    from Epson's site. Don't rely on XP's own even though it may be Epson it may
    be old.

    Plug printer into Desktop and set it up again..............setting sharing
    and give it a name etc.

    Now run through the wizard again on the laptop.............give it the share
    name, as before.

    shut both down and reboot.

    see what happens.

    sorry cant suggest much more.

    Lez Pawl, Oct 13, 2006

  3. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    Well I have tried all of the given suggestions and am still drawing a
    blank. I have deleted the printer from the main PC and re-installed
    it, re-shared it, re-booted and tried again with no joy. I have tried
    the same option with my other printer, an Epson 2100 with the same
    results. I still cannot use a networked printer.

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-4, 13/10/2006
    Tested on: 13/10/2006 20:11:34

    Ian Pollard, Oct 13, 2006
  4. Ian Pollard

    Lez Pawl Guest

    I see you use avast antivirus.

    I have looked at their site and note the Home version has Network Shield
    under which it states Lightweight Firewall.....

    have you had a good look around this software to determine how much of a
    Firewall it sets up......could be enough to stop the printer share.

    dj

    Lez Pawl, Oct 13, 2006
  5. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    Yes, I have even trioed shutting off the Network Shield that provides
    the firewall facility. It made no difference. What puzzles me is the
    fact that it works happily on my daughter's laptop with no problems
    and that the whole network is accessiblre on this one apart from the
    printers. I am evidently missing something somewhere!

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-4, 13/10/2006
    Tested on: 13/10/2006 22:08:25

    Ian Pollard, Oct 13, 2006
  6. Ian Pollard

    Lez Pawl Guest

    We seem to have tried everything. Though there really is very little to set
    up for it to work.

    I am out today but will continue to think on it.

    Lez Pawl, Oct 14, 2006
  7. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    Thank you for all of the time you have given to helping me. It is
    appreciated.
    I am now thinking that it has something to do with permissions. I have
    had a few problems trying to share folders on the laptop so that I can
    look at them on my desktop. The desktop is Win XP HE and the laptop is
    XP pro. I reckon I don't know enough about XP Pro and that is where my
    problem lies. It could be something on my modem/router that is
    stopping it as I connect to my LAN via that router. My knowledge is
    lacking in these areas.

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-4, 13/10/2006
    Tested on: 15/10/2006 16:55:56

    Ian Pollard, Oct 15, 2006
  8. Ian Pollard

    Lez Pawl Guest

    that's OK, I run XP Pro on my notebook and Home on the desktop through a
    wireless network which is wep encrypted and sid hidden. I too believe its
    the permissions and would take a serious look at your firewall and that
    antivirus software. I will add that when I was setting mine up if I just
    disabled Norton the system would still not work. Of course I then had to
    reboot to try to get the system to work but following reboot Norton would
    reenable its self.....my only course was to give the correct permissions
    within Norton's allowed section.

    Its annoying for you when one system works and the other doesn't and both
    appear identical.

    Lez Pawl, Oct 15, 2006
  9. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    I have even dumped Avast anti-virus and installed AVG so it is the
    same as the other laptop. I reckon I am now down to Windows XP Pro as
    being the problem as everything else is ruled out. It has to be
    something to do with permissions or security. I cannot find any other
    reasons. My firewall facility is provided by my router/modem and does
    not affect the other laptop so I guess I can rule that out. Every
    avenue brings me back to the OS permissions. Any advice is welcome.

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-4, 13/10/2006
    Tested on: 15/10/2006 22:20:36

    Ian Pollard, Oct 15, 2006
  10. Ian Pollard

    james Guest

    I assume you have created a user account on the "shared" computer that has
    the same login details as the other PC?

    I had this problem - XP Pro PC in a domain, with shared printer. GF had XP
    Home PC. I had to create her a domain user account that matched her login
    details for her own PC, and then it worked... (well, after checking
    permissions on the printer at any rate)

    James

    james, Oct 16, 2006
  11. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    Yes, I have created a user account with the same ;login details on the
    laptop. I have been in touch with Epson today, but gained nothing in
    that direction. I think I will just give up and dump XP Pro in favour
    of XP Home. I am sick of messing around with it!

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-4, 13/10/2006
    Tested on: 16/10/2006 16:30:37

    Ian Pollard, Oct 16, 2006
  12. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    I don't know how it happened, but all of a sudden, I have
    managed to sort out my printer problems. I messed about with security
    and permissions and have managed to load both of my Epson printers for
    access via the network.Don't ask how, it just works!!

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-5, 16/10/2006
    Tested on: 16/10/2006 19:16:15

    Ian Pollard, Oct 16, 2006
  13. Ian Pollard

    Lez Pawl Guest

    Hurahhhhh..........happy printing.

    Lez Pawl, Oct 16, 2006
  14. Ian Pollard

    Tx2 Guest

    You have to be kidding not to ask how!!
    Yee gads man, there's folk out there who have lost hair over this one!!

    Go and find out how you did it, immediately!

    (but don't bugger it up!)

    :)

    Tx2, Oct 16, 2006
  15. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    Sorry abot that, all I can think of is the setting of permissions in
    the security tab. I made everyone have full access to all three
    options and added the printer through the help and support dialogue
    instead of using discs and file drivers. Opened help & support,
    searched on network printer, followed dialogue to try printing the
    text then selected add printer from the dialogue box and followed
    instructions....again.... This time it all worked with no problems.
    Wish I could be more precise. Thanks to all who contributed to this
    saga.

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-5, 16/10/2006
    Tested on: 16/10/2006 23:02:11

    Ian Pollard, Oct 16, 2006
  16. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    I have just found out that all of my problems were down to a program
    called Inksaver. It was running on my desktop PC and stopping access
    to the printer from my laptop. Evidently it has issues with XP Pro. I
    have been in touch with their support and am presently awaiting a
    solution. I will post it her as and when. Finally, thank you for all
    of the help. It is really appreciated and I apologise for not noticing
    this little program just sitting there. Again, my apologies for
    wasting time.

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0642-0, 17/10/2006
    Tested on: 17/10/2006 20:46:45

    Ian Pollard, Oct 17, 2006
  17. Ian Pollard

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    Thanks for identifying it.
    Don't be daft - everyone learns something 'new' every day. I haven't
    followed the full thread, but I guess no-one else has used Inksaver
    and now alerted to potential problems, has learned a bit from you.

    NoNeedToKnow, Oct 18, 2006
  18. Ian Pollard

    Tx2 Guest

    Absolutely.

    Tx2, Oct 18, 2006
  19. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:06:56 +0100, "Tx2"

    The following is the reply received from Software Imaging who market
    Inksaver:

    Quote:

    Hello,
    InkSaver is designed for use with only one computer, it does not
    support shared printers. This is because in order to function InkSaver
    needs to modify the original printer driver files, when you attempt to
    connect to the printer from another computer the OS will attempt to
    install the incorrect driver file and this causes print jobs to fail.

    Unquote

    I did not know this when I purchased it and have told them so. I have
    asked for a refund! I also asked if there was any workaround and am
    still waiting for a reply from them.

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0642-2, 18/10/2006
    Tested on: 19/10/2006 09:42:27

    Ian Pollard, Oct 19, 2006