    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-2, 10/10/2006
    Tested on: 12/10/2006 11:50:28

    Ian Pollard, Oct 12, 2006

  2. Ian Pollard

    Tony Wright Guest

    On main PC go to Control Panel > Printers > Select 830 > Right Click >
    Left Click on Sharing and enable sharing the printer
    On Main PC go to CP > System > Ident Tab > Make the Workgroup the same
    as the laptop workgroup.
    Reboot both PCs
    On laptop do CP > Printers > Add Printer > Network > Browse for printer
    If it can't find the 830 then check that a firewall on the main PC isn't
    blocking the local Lan as many do by default.

    Tony Wright, Oct 12, 2006

  3. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    Have done all that
    Thanks for that, I am using the Windows Firewall and cannot find out
    how to permit printer access. The Lan is firewalled but there is no
    mention of the printer being excepted. Any ideas?

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-2, 10/10/2006
    Tested on: 12/10/2006 13:07:21

    Ian Pollard, Oct 12, 2006
  4. Ian Pollard

    Tx2 Guest

    If you click the firewall's "exceptions" tab, i think there may be a check
    box in there for that option...?

    Tx2, Oct 12, 2006
  5. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    Found the checkbox and it is checked as an exception. I can see the
    printer in printers and faxes but I cannot communicate with it. When I
    try to print anything to it it comes up with a message about a missing
    handle and it just refuses to print a test page and asks me if I want
    to use the print troubleshooter.I cannot see how much ink is in the
    cartridges via the properties so I am assuming that it just isn't
    communicating

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-3, 12/10/2006
    Tested on: 12/10/2006 19:13:21

    Ian Pollard, Oct 12, 2006
  6. Ian Pollard

    Tx2 Guest

    What is the *exact* message?

    Tx2, Oct 12, 2006
  7. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    Sorry,I didn't read it correctly, it says:

    "The Handle is invalid"

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-3, 12/10/2006
    Tested on: 12/10/2006 19:44:54

    Ian Pollard, Oct 12, 2006
  8. Ian Pollard

    Lez Pawl Guest

    Use Control Panel, Printers and other hardware, Add a Printer, Add a printer
    wizard.

    Add new printer, select a network printer, Next, Browse for a printer then
    in the selection box pick the \\Desktop\Epson 830 or something like this.

    Lez Pawl, Oct 12, 2006
  9. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    I have tried that but the printer will not print.

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-3, 12/10/2006
    Tested on: 12/10/2006 22:28:47

    Ian Pollard, Oct 12, 2006
  10. Ian Pollard

    Peter Guest

    Have you tried installing it as a new 'local' printer attached directly to
    the laptop?

    If that works, could you then go to Properties > Ports and set the laptop
    to see the printer on a remote connection, ie Ports > Add Port ?

    Peter, Oct 12, 2006
  11. Ian Pollard

    Lez Pawl Guest

    when you view the printers properties

    OK you have set printer share on the desktop, have you set the same name in
    the share box on both desktop and laptop.

    Lez Pawl, Oct 13, 2006
  12. Ian Pollard

    Paul Watt Guest

    Couldnt you just use a cheap print server. you can get for about £30 on ebay

    --
    Cheers

    Paul
    le singe est dans l'arbre
    http://www.paulwatt.info

    Paul Watt, Oct 13, 2006
  13. Ian Pollard

    norm Guest

    I have an epson880 on W95 networked via a modemrouter to WXP. I can
    remember in detail how I got this working but allowing sharing seemed
    to be the key, both PCs on same workgroup.
    Norm

    norm, Oct 13, 2006
  14. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    I tried that and it fails as soon as I change the port. Maybe I don't
    have the port set correctly? Any ideas on port setup?

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-4, 13/10/2006
    Tested on: 13/10/2006 13:19:22

    Ian Pollard, Oct 13, 2006
  15. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    OK, done that and still no joy. I should add that I have also tried
    installing the printer as a local printer on to the laptop and it
    works perfectly. I then tried adding a second version of the same
    printer only setup as a network printer and then found that not only
    did the new version fail but the previously working local printer
    failed with the same error as the networked option.

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-4, 13/10/2006
    Tested on: 13/10/2006 13:22:29

    Ian Pollard, Oct 13, 2006
  16. Ian Pollard

    Lez Pawl Guest

    silly question but are you rebooting after these changes..........this was
    my down fall I spent a good day changing things with absolutely no luck then
    after one for some reason or other I rebooted and everything fell into
    place.

    Lez Pawl, Oct 13, 2006
  17. Ian Pollard

    james Guest

    After what others said - are you using a router for internet access? If so,
    just turn off the Windows Firewall. Really no need for it, more trouble than
    it's worth.

    james, Oct 13, 2006
  18. Ian Pollard

    Lez Pawl Guest

    are you able to share files etc with the desktop............I don't think
    this has been asked yet.

    Lez Pawl, Oct 13, 2006
  19. Ian Pollard

    Ian Pollard Guest

    Yes, I am able to share files and aanswering an earlier question, I
    have re-booted on every change. I am using a modem/router to connect
    to the Internet so have tried operating with the Windows Firewall
    turned both off and on, no difference noted. One other item, the main
    PC with the printer connected is running Windows XP HE SP2 and the
    laptop is running Windows XP Pro with SP2.

    Ian

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0641-4, 13/10/2006
    Tested on: 13/10/2006 15:03:14

    Ian Pollard, Oct 13, 2006
  20. Ian Pollard

    Lez Pawl Guest

    OK and I run same operating systems as you........

    on your laptop, looking in the Printers and Faxes folder, does the printer
    you have set up with the wizard, have a title Epson Stylus Photo 830 ESC/P 2
    on <full computer name> or does it say Auto Epson Stylus etc...............

    Lez Pawl, Oct 13, 2006