    Before I had a home network setup and all other pc's connected via wireless
    network to print.

    How to I setup just the printer so others can use it ?

    Jason, Aug 25, 2010

  2. Jason

    Carlos Guest

    Jason,
    Have you enabled printer sharing in Network and Sharing Center?
    Have you shared your printer already?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 25, 2010

  3. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Hi,

    Yes I have, but when we do a search on the vista pc which is not hard wired
    to the printer we get a username/password box !

    I have only had my new Windows 7 pc for two days and still unable to do much
    on the networking side.

    Also we are going to need a way to set up a shared folder so their can
    backup stuff on my pc.

    I have looked in help files on my W7 pc but can not work out how yet, saying
    something about setting up a new user account ? and permissions. whats all
    that about. Never had this with XP verses Vista.

    Any advise for a newbie ?

    Cheers

    Jason, Aug 25, 2010
  4. Jason

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry, Aug 25, 2010
  5. Jason

    Carlos Guest

    Jason,
    In order to avoid the password thing I have set my home network as a Work
    Group (don't know the exact name in English, mine is in Spanish).
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 25, 2010
  6. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Carlos,

    Thank you for your reply, I have found something called 'Homegroup' but this
    is saying that all pc's have to be running Win 7. The other pc's are Vista.

    How would we get around this ?

    Jason, Aug 28, 2010
  7. Homegroups are only for computers with Windows 7. Your networked
    computers with other versions of Windows need to be in the same
    Workgroup, which is a different setting.

    Go to Control Panel\System and Security\System and select Advanced
    system settings in the left hand column. In the Computer name tab note
    the Workgroup name and make sure all your Windows computers are using
    the same Workgroup name: the default is Workgroup.

    To access the Windows 7 computer, once they are all in the same
    Workgroup, the users will need to log on to the Windows 7 computer with
    a valid username and password. These can be set as remembered so the
    users do not need to apply them each time they access the Windows 7
    computer.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 28, 2010