    Are there any links that provide step by steps or other information for
    doing these two things?

    Linda

    nonewz_is_goodnewz, Feb 10, 2004

  2. nonewz_is_goodnewz

    chip_y2kuk Guest

    if you set up a mail server you will need to use relevant auhtentification
    to prevent you from being blacklisted as an open relay. and www.no-ip.com
    shpuld be able to help you with DNS

    chip_y2kuk, Feb 10, 2004

  3. nonewz_is_goodnewz

    why? Guest

    Not the easiest method.

    What OS?
    Get a hosting package, try www.google.com and search for web hosting,
    you will get stuff like hosting providers or comparison charts like
    http://www.hostchart.com/
    http://www.lypha.com/?ref=hostchart
    http://www.affordablehost.com/
    http://usawebhosting.info/

    The fairly low monthly costs far offsets all the trouble you could end
    up with.
    You are going to limit visitors how?

    If you want fairly easy password setup, get a hosting service based on
    Apache, using the .htaccess file.
    The dynamic IP can be helped by a dynamic update client and the free
    service (or paid for static) like www.dyndns.org this will update the
    dynamic IP to a hostname like mygoodsite.dyns.org as in
    http://mygoodsite.dyndns.org

    You have to also be careful, your ISP allows this. If you register a
    domain name your ISP may not allow forwarding of the name to IP on thier
    servers. You may simply have to use a simple framed redirection.

    Do you need a simple online page construction tool or require FTP file
    upload?
    On top of the few minor to large issues above, you also mentioned email.

    That's another very major issues in it's own right. If not configured
    correctly it can be used by spammers to relay spam. This can be another
    way to lose your ISP account.

    Don;t forget the firewall/router that has port forwarding. This allows
    your public ISP IP address to accept incoming requests and forwards them
    to the PC on your LAN.
    You didn't mention what OS, what webserver or email server you may be
    using.

    If you still intend to go ahead, do a lot more research first. Then ask
    your questions. Not wishing to be rude your question shows you don't
    even have a very basic idea of how to start.

    Me

    why?, Feb 10, 2004
  4. Lol... Never attempted to HIDE the fact that I don't even have a basic idea
    of how to start.... That is why I posted the question, to get some info.

    Your issues will be taken into consideration, as I did mention, I'm only in
    the thought process stages of doing this, and your response is exactly what
    I need to weigh it all out.

    My router does allow port forwarding, so that is not an issue.

    Thanks.

    Linda

    nonewz_is_goodnewz, Feb 11, 2004
  5. nonewz_is_goodnewz

    Mike Guest

    <snip>

    I recommend SME server. It is linux based, and it is a webserver,
    e-mail server and network server all in one, and is freeware. They
    have a good support network of many people that can answer any and all
    of your questions. It also supports dyndns as well as dns2go, so your
    dynamic ip would not be a problem. I would recommend downloading and
    installing it, and playing around with it. Once installed, you manage
    it with a web interface, so you don't need to have a monitor hooked up
    to it at all times. I ran it on an AMD k2-330 with 256 MB ram and a 10
    GB hardrive, and it ran like a trooper, so using some older PCs should
    not be an issue. go to http://www.contribs.org to get the files, and
    also check out the forums and other items there, to help you get a
    feel of the SME server community. Hope this helps.

    Also, the SMTP server only allows local connections, so having
    spammers bounce off of your server would not be an issue. You would
    set your smtp server on your e-mail program to be 192.168.1.x
    (whatever IP address you have assigned to your SME server box).

    Mike
    HTTP://WWW.HOSTINGFORABUCK.NET
    FAST RELIABLE AFFORDABLE HOSTING.
    YOU COULD PAY MORE,