How to set time on kid's internet access

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Sam, Oct 29, 2006.

  1. Sam

    Rod Speed Guest

    Yes, that's why I initially asked if she could trust him on that stuff.

    It isnt hard to set it up so you can check whether that has been done.
    And he wont be able to ensure that it wont be obvious when he has done that.

    And that level of kid is quite capable of getting a spare power pack
    for the router, so your approach wont achieve a damned thing and
    will require a hell of a lot more daily hassle than the automated approach.
    More fool you if its easy enough to check whether that has happened or not.
    Because its much easier to check whether he has done that, stupid.
    When I was his age, I used to regularly get a surprise when the
    sun came up in the morning and I was still using the system.
    And if he really did agree to stop at 11pm, that may well be all she needs.
    Easily fixed by not having a guessable password, stupid.

    And it wouldnt be hard to automate a check of the router
    config after 11pm so you can catch him out if he trys that too.

    Rod Speed, Oct 30, 2006

  2. Sam

    Rod Speed Guest

    Thats never gunna fly when it happens more than once.
    He's a leb.
    Thats not gunna fly when all that needs is a power cycle of the
    router, no need to reconfigure it to remove the access restriction.

    AND you know when the router has been reconfigured if
    you are stupid enough to use a guessable password too.

    Your approach of taking the router power pack to bed
    with you doesnt provide any way of checking if he has
    chosen to get a spare power pack for the router.

    Rod Speed, Oct 30, 2006

  3. Sam

    MJW Guest

    Haha, how true jollyrogers! That sounds just like my 15yo daughter. Its
    fun to give her the NO answer once in a while & watch the results!

    MJW, Oct 31, 2006
  4. Sam

    Dan N Guest

    I am. Grown up kids.

    I can only hope that Rod Speed isn't one, for his kid's sake.

    Dan

    Dan N, Oct 31, 2006
  5. Sam

    Dan N Guest

    Are you an expert on parenting as well as everything else?

    Dan

    Dan N, Oct 31, 2006
  6. does he need to be?

    David Fairbrother, Oct 31, 2006
  7. Sam

    Whatcher? Guest

    What do YOU mean by "a power cycle of the router"? Eg, turning the power off
    to it wont reset it as you know.
    Arent most people like that though? Your favourite dog, your maiden name
    etc....
    Yeah but I did admit that in an earlier message. However, having said that
    Rod, then the obvious thing to reply with is that if the kid has enough
    money to buy a power pack for it, maybe he has enough to have bought his own
    router (even second hand) and just plugs that in and takes the normal one
    out so as to bypass any restriction, taking the power pack or entire router
    away etc. Where do we stop here?

    Whatcher?, Oct 31, 2006
  8. Sam

    Whatcher? Guest

    "their parents" what????

    Anyway, what does it matter if someone is a parent or not? When something is
    obvious as what started this thread, the answers are, too.

    Eg, the kid wont do what it agreed it will do so time to enforce the rule.

    Whatcher?, Oct 31, 2006
  9. Sam

    Cerberus Guest

    Thank God you haven't bred my little pathetic posing pedant.
    "It". Says it all really.

    Cerberus, Oct 31, 2006
  10. Sam

    Cerberus Guest

    Nobody cares, just STOP.

    Cerberus, Oct 31, 2006
  11. Sam

    tony sayer Guest

    Well spotted by that grammar policeman!...
    Well people who are parents see things somewhat differently to people
    who are not. Well thats what I've noticed over some 20 odd years..
    Yep, easier said than done sometimes..

    tony sayer, Oct 31, 2006
  12. Sam

    Rod Speed Guest

    Turning the power off and then on again.
    It will if the only problem is that it isnt communicating properly,
    so he cant claim that he needed to do that inside the hours
    he has agreed to use the net, when it stops working.
    Irrelevant to what she can do to avoid that.
    And that will be obvious in the logs with the original router.
    Realise that it makes a hell of a lot more sense to use the access
    restriction in the router and to use an unguessable password and
    to occasionally check that that password hasnt been reset, than
    it ever does to play silly buggers with the power pack.

    Rod Speed, Nov 1, 2006
  13. Sam

    jollyrodgers Guest

    Her mother did that too many times and she decided she wanted to
    come live with dad, then I used up my quota so she went back to her
    mother.
    Not playing that game again.....

    jollyrodgers, Nov 1, 2006
  14. David Fairbrother committed to the eternal aether...:
    To make an assertion like that, yes, probably.

    Damien McBain, Nov 1, 2006
  15. Sam

    Whatcher? Guest

    Yeah. I note a lot of parents seem to turn off to the whinges of kids. They
    dont stop to understand what prompted the whinge. Having heard years of it,
    they have this way of turning off like they do when advertisements are on
    the TV. I try to take the time to find out why the heck the kid is whinging.
    Often enough, it can be something entirely different to what the whinge is
    about.
    True. Especially true if the parent wont take the time to come to grips with
    basics of internet access and yet gives the kid a computer. The kid NEEDS
    one these days from a certain age onwards. The parent should become involved
    with their kid enough to be able to work this out. It isn't stuff that takes
    a major amount of knowledge at this level after all.

    Whatcher?, Nov 6, 2006