    However, not necessarily correct. Some parents outlive kids just to be
    nasty! :) If they do, the Mr. Howard's Oberfuhrer (spelling?) of Medical
    Matters will decide what you get! :)

    Whatcher?, Oct 29, 2006

  2. Sam

    Whatcher? Guest

    Like I said, take the power pack to bed with you. The truth is that if you
    DID trust him you wouldn't be in here asking this question.

    He cant be trusted or you wouldn't HAVE this problem.

    Anything you do to his router is easily fixed by him if he knows enough
    which is why taking the power pack is then the only real answer supposing he
    just doesn't go buy another.

    Whatcher?, Oct 29, 2006

  3. Sam

    PHATRS Guest

    I like the idea of putting the computer in the kitchen, or some other
    "public" place so the kids can't surf at ungodly hours nor visit the
    wrong sites.
    It's a few years away yet, but I'm not looking forward to attempting to
    discipline teenagers.

    PHATRS, Oct 29, 2006
  4. Sam

    lynt Guest

    Not necessary.
    Everything you need to know about anything is to be found on this newsgroup,
    usually delivered in plonking, dogmatic fashion.
    Oh to be nineteen again, and know everything.
    Pity about the spelling.

    lynt, Oct 29, 2006
  5. Sam

    Travis Guest

    Google for some software that limits the use. Just install it on his
    computer, set it so that he can only use the computer for 40 minutes
    every couple hours to space it out.

    Travis, Oct 29, 2006
  6. Sam

    Rod Speed Guest

    In spades if you have, it'll be the one like dog kennels in that case.

    Rod Speed, Oct 30, 2006
  7. Sam

    Rod Speed Guest

    Much more convenient to automate it in the router if the router can do that.
    I meant trust him not to do over the router or PC config.
    It aint that black and white. Plenty of people dont keep
    track of time that well when actively doing stuff and just
    need system that enforces what he has allegedly agreed to.
    Or fry the router by trying another thats lying around.

    Stupid approach.

    Makes a lot more sense to configure the router and
    set a password on that and check occasionally that
    he hasnt reset the router. Lot less effort than
    unplugging the router every night.

    Rod Speed, Oct 30, 2006
  8. Sam

    Rod Speed Guest

    She may not be laughing |-)
    We'll see...
    Thats a risk she gets to take.
    Nope.

    Rod Speed, Oct 30, 2006
  9. Sam

    Dan N Guest

    Use good old fashioned parental authority. Tell him that he can't use the
    internet after 11 pm and make sure he doesn't. You've lost the battle if
    you have to resort to some automatic cutoff mechanism.

    Dan

    Dan N, Oct 30, 2006
  10. ahhh yep i got you now.

    David Fairbrother, Oct 30, 2006
  11. Sam

    Matt S Guest

    Sam, I don't know what the situation is with your son or how old he is
    but this is something you need to be careful with.

    We are now living in a world where online and real life interact with
    each other very closely. The internet is no longer just the toy it was
    in 1997.

    Now obviously if he is online playing Warcraft at 2 AM and has to be at
    school at 8 AM, this is a problem even if he is 16.

    Matt S, Oct 30, 2006
  12. Sam

    Rod Speed Guest

    Wrong when its a convenient way of enforcing what you have agreed.

    Rod Speed, Oct 30, 2006
  13. if i were him, WoW or BF2. or IRC.

    David Fairbrother, Oct 30, 2006
  14. Sam committed to the eternal aether...:
    Do you know how to access your router configuration?

    If you left it as factory defaults the ip would be 192.168.2.1 (type that
    in a browser address bar) and the password smcadmin.

    Poke around in there for access restrictions. It will probably do what you
    want. If it doesn't (I would be surprised) then a firmware upgrade may add
    the functionality.

    Change the password so they can't alter your settings.

    I'd download the manual and find out exactly how but my internet bandwith
    is shaped at 64kb/s (from 17000/256) right now due to kids over-use :/

    Damien McBain, Oct 30, 2006
  15. Sam

    tony sayer Guest

    Can I suggest that anyone answering this thread says whether or not
    their parents;-))

    tony sayer, Oct 30, 2006
  16. Sam

    jollyrodgers Guest

    As long you give them everything they ask for let them go anywhere
    they want speak to you how ever they please and admit that they
    have more experience at most things than yourself.
    Everything will be smooth sailing.

    jollyrodgers, Oct 30, 2006
  17. Sam

    jollyrodgers Guest

    It wasn't me I didn't touch it, must have been a power surge.
    Honestly mom.

    jollyrodgers, Oct 30, 2006
  18. Sam

    PHATRS Guest

    I did, and I am but my oldest is only 3, so we'll see how I do when
    they're teenagers "just" wanting to surf the net when they feel like it.

    PHATRS, Oct 30, 2006
  19. Sam

    Whatcher? Guest

    I dont disagree but surely you know or have heard of 17 year old kids who
    know enough about routers to reset it and set it up the way THEY want it,
    yes? I have met a 7 year old who diagnosed his parents' 98SE problem
    correctly but they didnt believe him. When I got there and before I had a
    chance to even SEE the machine he told me what it was. I checked it out and
    he was exactly correct. That kid, at 17, will know so much more than his
    parents that he may even be able to fix the router to what he wants and then
    know enough to write a program to set it back to what his parents had put in
    before he turns his computer off.
    I wouldnt. If he cant be trusted to stop IRC/whatever on internet when he
    shouldnt, supposing he knows how to reset the router, why would he be
    trusted NOT to reset it?
    Actually, yes I agree with that one. I will sometimes get deep into
    something and not realise midnight has come and gone. I got by that by
    downloading Wizmo from grc.com and setting it to shut down my computers at
    midnight. :) It works well but yeah, is sometimes annoying.
    Yeah I did say that. I actually fixed that scenario recently. Medical centre
    with no wireless in it because some dumb sod pulled the modem and wi-fi
    router power plugs out to reset them and then put them back in the wrong way
    around simply because the power plugs were exactly the same. Modem was not
    working but actually not affected negatively and router was burned out and
    useless.
    The problem there being that he can still set it back the way you thought it
    should be after he has finished doing what he wants if he can guess your
    router password.

    Whatcher?, Oct 30, 2006
  20. Sam

    Whatcher? Guest

    Hey! So are you American or Canadian?

    Anyway, yeah, I agree that is easy to say, too.

    He could also say that at a time she allows internet, he tried to get on and
    couldn't and the router needed resetting.

    Whatcher?, Oct 30, 2006