how to send a message from an NT Server to any given client on a LAN/WAN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Mario, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Mario

    Mario Guest

    Hello,

    What is the command to send a message to the video of a single client
    connected to the server on the given LAN/WAN

    Is it enought to know the ip address of that single client?

    Most of the clients are windows 95, 98 and some XP Pro

    What is the command to execute from the server?

    Only with the ip address it is allowed to send the message? what other
    are the possible ways to identify the single client?

    Thanks,

    Mario

    Mario, Mar 4, 2004

  2. NET SEND w.x.y.z blah

    for w.x.y.z - IP address works, NBNS name works,
    DNS name doesn't (per my testing on a W2K pro system.)

    ---

    ~ Hello,
    ~

    Aaron Leonard, Mar 4, 2004

  3. From the Windows command line try:

    net send machinename "message"

    to use the Window networking names, or

    net send /domain:10.1.2.3 "message"

    to do it by IP address. This will only work if both machines can see
    each other via Windows networking, and Windows networking is running
    over TCP/IP.

    Robert Wessel, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Mario

    Cald Guest

    could you give an example? I am confused.

    can the ip be any ip on the internet, and the message will be displayed as a
    pop-up?

    thanks

    Cald, Mar 5, 2004
  5. Mario

    PJML Guest

    In theory, yes - but since this mechanism was used
    by spammers a lot of organisations now block the
    ports used on their firewalls. Most home-users
    have also turned off the ability to receive these
    "net send" popups as an anti-spam defence.

    PJML, Mar 5, 2004